Thread: Pinnacle Studio 11 vs. Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

Arrow Pinnacle Studio 11 vs. Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

I have been using Pinnacle Studio for a while now for editing my home videos using my HV20 (and previous camcorders), but have seen many people raving about Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 here on this forum as their Editing software of "choice".

For people who have tried BOTH programs, what would you say would be the main differences between the two? Studio seems to have a easier interface, and the screenshots of Vegas looks a bit intimidating...but am curious to try it out but don't want to waste time learning it if it offers the same as Studio.

THANKS for your opinions

I am a Studio 11+ user but I understand Vegas offers a lot more, more audio and video tracks and more options. I downloaded a "free" version but was put off by the interface!
    The result? I am staying with Studio, it does all I want and more. I can see that Studio would be a limit to film makers who want a greater range of effects but it produces a decent video without much fuss.

Cant heklp with Pinacle but I used Cyberlink PowerDirector Pro for many years and it was very easy to use in a kinda "throw clips in a row" storyboard kind way.

I found going to Vegas very easy and bar a few oddities with the way things are named, it was very intuiative especially since I have worked with Photoshop and audio editor programs in the past.

Most things are where you'd expect them, some not so.

Best bet, download the trial and have a play around.
    Panasonic HMC 151E - Canon HV20 - Twoneil 35mm Static Adapter - Nikon f1.4 50mm - Rode Videomic - 2x AudioTechnica ATR35 - Zoom H2 - Steadicam JR - Custom LED Lamp

I'm another Pinnacle user and have been for about 4 years. I ordered Vegas from B&H last week since the price was down to the same as Studio almost. I believe I may start doing multi camera shoots and I understand Vegas is better suited to edit multi camera clips than Studio is. That asside, I believe that Studio 11 is probably the best choice for someone just starting out shooting family videos and wants to create DVDs to pass along to the family members. You hardly need to crack a book in order to work with the program.

I'm not looking forward to the learning curve I'll be going through with Vegas. I tend to be a fly by the seat of my pants type of person which probably is a result of "Attention Deficit Disorder" that I'm almost sure I have.

Does pinnacle capture and render in full hd quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibalekta View Post
    YES for PAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
    YES for PAL.
    Thanks for the responses...
    Along the lines of the question above, does Vegas capture and render in full HD in NTSC?

Yes it does. I have a non pal HV20 & 30.

I have both Pinnacle and Vegas pro. but now im using pretty much just vegas.. pinnacle is alot more straight forward there are 3 basic tabs capture, edit , output. while Vegas has a higher learning curve at first it offers alot more flexibility and options. The one thing i wish was that the file formats were compatible with each other but they are not. pinnacle captures as m2v+wav while vegas uses m2t.

I havent tried DVD architech yet so cant coment on that