Thread: What is the difference between HV30 and HV30E ?

Default What is the difference between HV30 and HV30E ?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the world of camcorders and this forum, so excuse me if this is not an appropriate post or is answered already.

I've recently decided to invest in a camcorder.
    After spending a lot of time reading reviews on camcorders, I decided to go for a HV30 (of course? .
    But what confuses me a bit is the two versions available: HV30 (for the US market?), and HV30E (for the European market?).
    Are there any differences between these two models other than NTSC vs. PAL and different input power on the charger/power adapter?
    Like functionality, firmware versions, etc.?

I live in nothern Europe, and the prices for a HV30E are much higher here than a HV30 in a US store (like B&H). If I buy a HV30E at the cheapest available price in my country (internet store), I'd have to pay $1600!
    If I buy a HV30 from, say B&H, for $850 including worldwide shipping, I'd save at least $500, including taxes for bringing the camera into my country.

So I'm really having a hard time here. If I buy the camcorder from the US, it will be incompatible with the PAL TV system, I'd have to buy a separate charger, and I probably won't get the same warranties as in my own country? Also, returning the camcorder for service if needed, will be probably be a hassle.

Hmm.. maybe that extra cash is worth all the trouble... or do I exagerate the problem?

HV30 NTSC (US): 24p...30p...60i..black body etc...

HV30 PAL (Everywhere else besides Japan and some of Canada...I think): 25p....50i...black body..etc..

There's really little more....but if I were a PAL user...I'd find myself an HV20.

EDIT: I only recommended the HV20 because it would more than likely be cheaper...but Duke is correct....get a PAL version for your region.
    Last edited by Ian-T; 2008 April 28th at 18:41.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

Also electricity. US 60hz, Europe 50 hz. Besides the charger it makes a difference with the lights. Some lights flicker. The flicker will be in phase if you use the correct frame rates for your country.

If you're in Europe get an HV30E, although some online places may have it cheaper if the taxes are workable.

Duke

So the NTSC version has both 24p and 30p, but the PAL version only has 25p.
    Didn't think of the frequency. Wouldn't want flickering. I guess I'll better pay up for the HV30E then.

How about accessories? Buying those outside my region shouldn't pose any problems, should they?
    Like tapes, tripod, bag, external mic, light, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    HV30 PAL (Everywhere else besides Japan and some of Canada...I think): 25p....50i...black body..etc..
    We're 100% NTSC up here in America Jr.

Yeah, apple pie, Busch beer and Not The Same Color Twice for our video standard. God Bless America. Yee-hah!

Only a Brit would try and divide 60 seconds by 50! Metric system my ass!
    I know enough to know what works ... at least until it blows up. Then I know it don't.

Quote Originally Posted by previdman View Post
    Yeah, apple pie
    http://www.appleofyourpie.com/appleinfo.html

The History of Apple Pie
    The origin of most customs and foods in America can be traced to Europe. The same is true of American Apple Pie. Not to upset the founding fathers, but apple pie, is not really American at all. Fourteenth century English often enjoyed meat pies. Fruits such as apples were substituted in traditional meat pies and served as dessert. Apple pie was a favorite dessert during the reign of Elizabeth I. During the mid 1600s, Oliver Cromwell banned many pleasures throughout the Commonwealth, including pie. Fortunately under the reign of King Charles II in 1660 England enjoyed a more pleasant lifestyle, as the King allowed them many pleasures previously denied by Cromwell, among them pie. Although the old style English cuisine is hardly considered gourmet, we are grateful that the colonials passed on the English "American" apple pie, and we are thankful for the thousands of bakers who have helped perfect the apple pie throughout time.

In Colonial times the taste of a dish was emphasized more than appearance and presentation. Pies were often baked with a "take-off crust". The process allowed sugar and spices to be added after the apples had baked in the bottom pastry shell. Sliced apples were arranged in a pastry-lined pie pan. The pie was baked with the top crust loosely placed on top, but not sealed to the under crust. When the pie was done, the top crust was gently lifted off, sugar and spices were added and the top crust replaced before serving. Sometimes the top crust was baked separately from the bottom crust and assembled after both parts were completely cooled.
    Enjoy your English Apple Pie.

England 1 - USA 0

Busch beer
    You guys have obviously never had Stella Artois.

I'm tee total, can't stand beer, and even I like Stella!

Finest beer in the world and 5.2% to boot!

England 2 - USA 0

and Not The Same Color Twice for our video standard. God Bless America. Yee-hah!
    625 lines vs 520 lines.

England 3 - USA 0

Only a Brit would try and divide 60 seconds by 50! Metric system my ass!
    OK hands up we got something wrong!

England 3 - USA 1

politics
    usa 0 - england 0

Quote Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
    http://www.appleofyourpie.com/appleinfo.html

England 1 - USA 0

England 2 - USA 0

625 lines vs 520 lines.

England 3 - USA 0

England 3 - USA 1
    you forgot ntsc = 29,97 fps

Legend

The 59.97 field rate, still perpetuated in HD, is a pain. There's a non-integer number of audio samples per frame/field, a confusing mess when it comes to timecode, and 3-2 pulldown.

Whereas in 25fps countries, there are an integer number of audio samples per video frame, an integer number of mpeg audio blocks every 3 frames of video, timecode is easy, 1 frame of video = 1 frame of film... and the girls are prettier.

Seriously, there are a lot of things to worry about wrt video in "NTSC" countries that never even occur to the people working in "PAL" countries. The only consolation is we have to worry about the pitch of the audio for 24fps productions transferred to video.

Cheers,
    David.

Stella is belgium, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    The 59.97 field rate, still perpetuated in HD, is a pain. There's a non-integer number of audio samples per frame/field, a confusing mess when it comes to timecode, and 3-2 pulldown.
    I don't get it: 59.94 x 44100 = 2643354
    59.94 x 48000 = 2877120

Any audio sample rate ending with lots of zeros is going to give you an integer, right?

Legend

The actual field rate is 60 * (1000/1001)
    The actual frame rate is 30 * (1000/1001)

People write 59.94 and 29.97 because the real numbers are infinitely repeating decimals, and everyone know what you mean (even when you get it wrong like I just did!).

AFAIK no common audio sample rate will give you an integer number of samples per field or frame.

Cheers,
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwkrause View Post
    Stella is belgium, btw.
    I know but its on sale over here and is also brewed under license over here.

If you US guys ever get the chance grab a Stella its the nector of the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
    England 1 - USA 0

England 2 - USA 0

625 lines vs 520 lines.
    England 3 - USA 0

England 3 - USA 1
    ROFLMAO!!
    I know enough to know what works ... at least until it blows up. Then I know it don't.

Whereas in 25fps countries, there are an integer number of audio samples per video frame, an integer number of mpeg audio blocks every 3 frames of video, timecode is easy, 1 frame of video = 1 frame of film... and the girls are prettier.

Seriously, there are a lot of things to worry about wrt video in "NTSC" countries that never even occur to the people working in "PAL" countries. The only consolation is we have to worry about the pitch of the audio for 24fps productions transferred to video.

Cheers,
    David.
    HEY!! I thought we were talking abt beer here! Now you're gonna' go and mess it all up with videospeak. Damn!

The actual field rate is 60 * (1000/1001)
    The actual frame rate is 30 * (1000/1001)

People write 59.94 and 29.97 because the real numbers are infinitely repeating decimals, and everyone know what you mean (even when you get it wrong like I just did!).

AFAIK no common audio sample rate will give you an integer number of samples per field or frame.

Cheers,
    David.
    Stop it! S-t-o-p it!!! What are you....a sicko???
    Let's get back to the beer. Mmmmmmm.......beer.

stella goes hard

Legend

HEY!! I thought we were talking abt beer here! Now you're gonna' go and mess it all up with videospeak. Damn!
    I mentioned pretty girls, but you missed it. Don't worry, a lot of people who like to (talk about) drink can't think about anything else either!

Cheers,
    David.

I mentioned pretty girls, but you missed it. Don't worry, a lot of people who like to (talk about) drink can't think about anything else either!

Cheers,
    David.
    Ya' drink enough, they're all pretty!

Valued Member

Do you think it is possible, to change PAL to NTSC with a firmware?

Newbie Member

I'm very interested to buy a hv30 camcorder but in European standard.

I was disappointed because PAL cameras don't have 24p. I wonder if a HV30's recording in 24p will be very similar with one captured with an European HV30 camcorder in 25p.

I've seen on youtube some cool slow-motion movies made with HV30. My second question is: can be achieved the same clean, fluid slow-motion movement with a PAL camera?

BTW: I'm from Romania.... (That's in Europe)

Oh, yes!... is there a place to download a pdf format of the european user manual, to compare the features?
    Last edited by fish_b0oy; 2008 August 24th at 08:49.