Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus Wheel

Default Focus Wheel

Every time the same trouble with the focus wheel of the HV20. Last week I ordered my focus wheel on ebay, I have tested it yesterday and it works fine. See below for the pictures.

Greetz Marcus
    Attached Images Attached Images

can u still put an adapter .. does it have threads?

You can put the focus wheel on the camera and then you can put your adapter or widerange lens on. Below is a picture where you can see it better. You can use the regular thread of the HV20.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Valued Member

Marcus,

Can you provide a link for your focus wheel, I searched ebay for HV20 "focus wheel" and came up empty handed. I currently use a silicone tube covered stick, but this looks like a much more elegant solution, especially since I already use 52mm filters and teleconverters which is what you images seem to portray.

Valued Member

how much? looks great, thanks!

Formerly known as Jo_the_big_O VideJo's Avatar

This is promising! Please support us a link.

Valued Member

yes! any info about where we can found would be great!

ditto, this is the one i've been searching for

Forum Mogul

I wonder it the added distance on the front of the lens is an issue with adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by CJDaniels View Post
    I wonder it the added distance on the front of the lens is an issue with adapters?
    Well he said that you could use the original threads of the HV...but the problem might be having a adapter skinny enough. =\

-Hunter
    "...and by His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

Quote Originally Posted by marcusrenft View Post
    Every time the same trouble with the focus wheel of the HV20. Last week I ordered my focus wheel on ebay, I have tested it yesterday and it works fine. See below for the pictures.

Greetz Marcus
    No disrespect man....but why the deceit? On your first post here you call us out with a product supposedly on Ebay in the DIY section? We've seen this before. I take it that this is something you made and want to see the response you get after you show it in this forum? Now that you got our attention what's the deal?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

No Way!! Haha... I built the same thing. I was waiting to finish before posting it, but in fear of being called a copycat later ...here's where I'm at so far. I've still got a little more tweaking, but it's close:

focus_ring_front.jpg focus_ring_back.jpg

I'm currently working on a plastic version (slides better and quieter)

-Irv

Quote Originally Posted by irvb View Post
    No Way!! Haha... I built the same thing. I was waiting to finish before posting it, but in fear of being called a copycat later ...here's where I'm at so far. I've still got a little more tweaking, but it's close:

I'm currently working on a plastic version (slides better and quieter)

-Irv
    this is precisely what i've been wanting to build, but i'm absolutely miserable with... well, building things. any hope for a tutorial, or will you be selling them possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by zero01101 View Post
    this is precisely what i've been wanting to build, but i'm absolutely miserable with... well, building things. any hope for a tutorial, or will you be selling them possibly?
    Unfortunately, Its not really a DIY project, so a tutorial wouldn't be very helpful. I used a lathe, a mill, and other various machines. Not the typical garage tools.

I'm hoping to sell them, but I'm not quite finished yet. Once I have the plastic version finished, I'll be ready to start selling. I'd be glad answer any questions in the mean time.

I bought the focus wheel for 70 €. But it was the only one from the saler and it was a DIY-project. I can`t send you a link because it was a deal outside of ebay (he ended the auction premature). I will look for the salers mailadress at ebay so I hopefully can send you a link. @ Ian-T , if it was my project, I would post it here as this because i know that every HV20 user is interested in a working focus wheel. So dont call me a swindler. @ irvb your focus wheel looks good and quite practicable. I only watched for the video quality till now, yesterday i tested the audio quality you are right, there is a minimal noise on the tape, probably from the focus wheel.

This focus wheel is only a mechanical aid, is it not? So how can this cause any noise?

Through the friction of the inner- and the outer-ring. But its minimal.

...@ Ian-T , if it was my project, I would post it here as this because i know that every HV20 user is interested in a working focus wheel. So dont call me a swindler. ...
    Not calling you a swindler. Trust me...if I thought that I would have said so....but putting your focus wheel out there like how you did in the DIY section of the forum automatically put up a red flag (at least in my mind). Even then what I was saying was if you have a product to sell just come out and say so....but I guess not. Since we have been in the same place before with others I thought it was fair to everyone else to "clarify" the what, where and how. So this leads back to my original opening statement...."no disrespect."
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

Through the friction of the inner- and the outer-ring. But its minimal.
    Can you please explain how the thing works? And what the parts look like? If the seller does not comewith additional items, I might consider building my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_the_big_O View Post
    Can you please explain how the thing works?
    I plan on posting a video once It's done, but for now I'll explain the concept. I can't speak for Marcus, but it looks like the two designs are similar.

focus_ring_concept.jpg

Basically you have 3 main parts;
    1. The base - Shown in grey (mounts on the camera, and stays stationary)
    2. The Outer ring - Shown in Blue as an internal gear(slides on the base piece)
    3. The Focuser Shaft - Shown in Red as a spur gear(the piece that actually turns the camera's focus wheel)

As you turn the Outer ring, the Focuser Shaft turns which turns the Camera's Focus Wheel.

Hopefully that makes sense.
    -Irv

I was afraid of that . . . Not easy to make. For instance, how to make an internal gear with such fine pitch? Timing belt? Glued inside outer ring?
    And out of what material is the wheel, that is in contact with the focuswheel on the camera? Should be quite soft . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_the_big_O View Post
    I was afraid of that . . . Not easy to make.
    Yeah, I've been working on this thing for a while. It's pretty tricky. There are some tough design restrictions.

Its Needs to:
    - be easily mounted without damaging the camera
    - not cover or restrict any other functions on the camera
    - slide easily and accurately every time (that's a big one)
    - function quietly so it can't be heard on the tape while you're focusing
    - be durable

But, that's okay... It would make the HV20/30 even more powerful.

irvb, if you manage to meet all your design goals and can sell them at a decent price your focus ring sounds like the next "must have" accessory!

Formerly Known As "Aramis"

Quote Originally Posted by irvb View Post
    It would make the HV20/30 even more powerful.
    You mean, even less crippled? The Panasonic HDC-HS100 will be the new Holy Grail. Actually, it will not, its chips are 1/6-inch only, and there is no info on 30p/24p. But everything else... man... this could be a perfect cam.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/18/p...rs-now-with-e/

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    You mean, even less crippled? The Panasonic HDC-HS100 will be the new Holy Grail. Actually, it will not, its chips are 1/6-inch only, and there is no info on 30p/24p. But everything else... man... this could be a perfect cam.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/18/p...rs-now-with-e/
    Actually, what is unprecedented about this news is the fact that panasonic went with CMOS at all. This will be interesting...no more pixel shift technology. A real focus ring. But 3CMOS is overkill. I don't know how much that will help the cam's lowlight with only 1/6 size CMOS. It's not the first 3CMOS camcorder. We will see.
    Last edited by Ian-T; 2008 June 18th at 19:33.