Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Lumix G?

Default Panasonic Lumix G, DSLR (sort of) with a real movie mode?

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/2010...sonic-lumix-g/

what do you think? i think panasonic has great video quality in their compacts and that a slightly smaller sensor than 35mm (yet bigger than any video camera's) is actually an advantage since you can shoot wide open (thus low iso) without having to select either the nose or the eyes to focus on. :-) i also think the flip out screen is wonderful.

(note, this is the g prototype i'm talking about. the g1 doesn't have video)

/matt
    Last edited by mattias; 2008 September 22nd at 16:36.

If it's based on the same sensor it would be 12 megapixels thats 4k wide for both 16:9 or 4:3. However, I haven't seen anything yet on what the output, file format, etc is yet.

Duke

Yeah but what caught my attention was the tiny form factor yet huge flip out screen, plus the dedicated movie button and stereo mic, neither of which tells us anything about how good the cam will be but does tells us it solves at least a few of the concerns we've had about the other ones. Plus, this is not a true slr, it's designed to always be run in live view, which tells us, well what exactly? /matt

ok so this camera is hardly even announced and my subject line wasn't inspiring, but how come nobody else has a comment? this one could very well solve most of the problems we have with the d90 and d5mII since video isn't an afterthought anymore (well it is considering that it's a g1 upgrade but you know what i mean). i'm extremely excited.

there's some cool sample footage here. could be a complete fake especially since it's a tiny frame but if not; no rolling shutter issues, shallow dof and great colors.

http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/syst...a/gms/concept/ (g's secret->hd movie)

/matt
    Last edited by mattias; 2008 September 24th at 03:27.

I haven't seen any firm specs yet, have you? A concept, and idea, but what will be finalized? It might be great. Sort of like the Scarlet, only cheaper.

I think we all need to wait a few months to find out more, but this is one I want to keep an eye on. I've got a $5k camera budget burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to see how the dust settles.

no i haven't but speculation is fun, and wishful thinking. what we do know is that it has a flip out screen, great for video, and that panasonic has 24p video in their pocket cameras. cool stuff.

/matt

Kind of difficult to even speculate without any real specs and what looks like a few phoney photos floating around "will probably be revealed at the upcoming PMA 2009 in Las Vegas"

Rich

i know what you're saying but here's what we do know since it's a micro four thirds camera in the g series:

it has an 18x14mm sensor, which is close to academy aperture 21x16.

it has interchangeable lenses.

it takes any slr lens with an adapter due to the short flange distance.

it has a flip out screen.

it has full live view both on the screen and in the (non optical) viewfinder.

it's tiny.

so this we can comment on. is this a good candidate for a video shooting dslr?

/matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattias View Post
    i know what you're saying but here's what we do know since it's a micro four thirds camera in the g series:
    it has an 18x14mm sensor, which is close to academy aperture 21x16.
    it has interchangeable lenses.
    it takes any slr lens with an adapter due to the short flange distance.
    it has a flip out screen.
    it has full live view both on the screen and in the (non optical) viewfinder.
    it's tiny.
    so this we can comment on. is this a good candidate for a video shooting dslr?
    Is tiny on your wish list? The micro 4/3 lens allows it to be small, but hand held is terrible with a small light camera.

The sensor size is close to the Reds. It may have decent DOF.

I am interested in the clip quality, price and video controls, which we don't know.

This thread will probably come alive in a 3-6 months when we know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Is tiny on your wish list?
    not necessarily, just stating what i know. it could be a great thing, it could be a problem. the slr form factor isn't perfect for movies anyway, so i'm leaning towards tiny so i can build a rig with support rods for my taste instead of carrying around bulk that i don't need.

I am interested in the clip quality, price and video controls, which we don't know.
    This thread will probably come alive in a 3-6 months when we know more.
    i think so too. see you then.

/matt

More pics:

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

Is that a stereo mic on top?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

yeah, that's a stereo mic. i didn't mention that because to me it means nothing, but i realize for some it does. btw, it actually says avchd on there. promising indeed.

/matt

Forum Mogul

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    Is that a stereo mic on top?
    Sure looks like it. I always laugh a little at stereo mics that have the R and L elements 1/2" apart. Unless it's a binaural mic where its pickup pattern is aimed directly to the left and directly to the right (as opposed to recording the sound in FRONT of the camera), you're really not getting any appreciable stereo separation with mics set up like this. You might as well be using a mono mic.

Yeah that's why I posted it..AVCHD.. Also I believe the lens are made by Olympus. IMO the fact that they are advertising "HD" on the cam, kinda makes me think it's more of a real hybrid (DSLR/Camcorder) than the D90 and the Canon. Which hopefully translates to better manual controls in both modes...(all wishful thinking on my part however).

Edit: After seeing what the others had to offer....it's kind of hard to get excited too much over this...but....here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Sure looks like it. I always laugh a little at stereo mics that have the R and L elements 1/2" apart. Unless it's a binaural mic where its pickup pattern is aimed directly to the left and directly to the right (as opposed to recording the sound in FRONT of the camera), you're really not getting any appreciable stereo separation with mics set up like this. You might as well be using a mono mic.
    LOL...I don't know how many times I've said that same thing before.

the lenses are made by various manufacturers, like leica. the four thirds system isn't just for this camera, it's getting huge. until more micro lenses are released all four thirds lenses work in full auto with an adapter, and all manual lenses for canon, nikon, pentax, and so on, work with a passive adapter.

/matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattias View Post
    the lenses are made by various manufacturers, like leica. the four thirds system isn't just for this camera, it's getting huge. until more micro lenses are released all four thirds lenses work in full auto with an adapter, and all manual lenses for canon, nikon, pentax, and so on, work with a passive adapter.

/matt
    wow indeed promising!
    i wonder what marketing strategy is that? announcing a follower or upgraded version short after releasing a product. a conclusion could be that the follower plays in a different price range.
    regards

This camera doesn't say anything about video, although some said that it might do VGA video.

IMHO, if you want a panasonic camera that does good HD video, get the Lumix LX3. Better than the more popular TZ5 model for a various of reasons that I won't go into right now.

Forum Mogul

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
    This camera doesn't say anything about video, although some said that it might do VGA video.
    Well, it does say HD on the front and AVCHD on the back of the camera...

This camera doesn't say anything about video....
    Which camera are you referring to with "this camera"?

There's a link here in this thread to a movie shot with the Lumix G.

...although some said that it might do VGA video.
    "Some" can say what they want; I prefer to rely on the Panasonic site, and not what "some" say: and the Pana site states
    it will shoot VGA, WVGA and "high resolution HD progressive motion images", albeit specifying "in the future", as the "G" isn't out yet.

Matt mentions this in the first post: "note, this is the g prototype i'm talking about. the g1 doesn't have video"

I am referring to the article on gizmodo that said that the whole thing about HD was a hoax. http://gizmodo.com/5051585/panasonic...shoot-hd-video

Forum Mogul

I am referring to the article on gizmodo that said that the whole thing about HD was a hoax. http://gizmodo.com/5051585/panasonic...shoot-hd-video
    The gizmodo article is about the G1

Quote Originally Posted by 1 View Post
    Matt mentions this in the first post: "note, this is the g prototype i'm talking about. the g1 doesn't have video"

IMHO, if you want a panasonic camera that does good HD video, get the Lumix LX3
    The lx3 shoots great video but its sensor is barely larger than the hv's and it doesn't have interchangeable lenses so i don't quite understand what you mean. This camera competes with the d90 and 5d2, not compact cameras.
    Last edited by mattias; 2008 September 29th at 11:38.

wow, even harder than to figure out which post something is in reply to is trying to respond to a post that's been deleted. :-)

(no, the rest of you will not understand that one. my previous has been edited for clarity though)

/matt