Thread: $40-ish 400 watt DIY video light

Default $40-ish 400 watt DIY video light

Let me know if anyone sees any obvious problems with this light project. Works pretty well for me so far, but I still have to get higher CRI bulbs.

Wow! That was awesome. I had to watch it again in slow-mo. Have you shot any lighting tests with this yet?

My Vimeo response:

That’s pretty impressive. Cool presentation. That soundtrack would be perfect for a suspense thriller. What’s the current CRI on the bulbs you are using? Can we see a picture of the setup while on the mic stand? I would love to see how you placed that cheap diffusion.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ...Albert Einstein

The bulbs are N:Vision, I think the CRI is low 80's. I whipped up one quickly to use for a 48 Hour Film Project so that's the only testing I've done, nothing technical. We were short on time and technical know-how, so it did at least the minimum we needed: added extra usable light to our scenes for short dough. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

For the diffusion, I cut hoops from clothes hangers and duct taped the sheeting over the light. It got hotter than expected but worked for the day. I've ripped it off since while I try to figure out a better way. I made a PVC frame for a sheet of the stuff, but tape doesn't stick too well to the plastic sheet. I want to try gluing or melting hoops along the edges and then bungie to the frame. Then I could make a Mylar sheet for a hard bounce too. I made the frame pretty big so I could diffuse the sun for close shots if that's ever needed.

Default DIY light pics

Here are the pics. There's a rose colored light in the corner. For anything other than the vertical placement shown, the mic stand isn't made for anything heavier than a mic, so to get the adjustments tight enough I use a wrench to lock it down tight enough without stripping the threads. It won't last long, but works in a pinch. The weight shown is pretty much useless. To attach the light to the stand I used screw clamps, and cut short sections of tubing for better grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Um, how about cutting some vents out of the back panel? I was re-watching this video and was thinking that it'd get pretty hot with the diffusion on.

Also, maybe find a way to attach and reattach the diffusion quickly, like with a zip or button studs so you can remove it between takes to let the lights cool down.

I already removed the sealed diffusion and I'm working on a small, light frame I can attach to the light that will be open at the ends to vent, but overhang all sides. I'm also making a hand-held frame (described above) for multiple uses which will do a different job from close diffusion. I'd rather not cut vents in the actual light to increase reflectivity of the panels. If the white panels aren't enough I could glue mylar to the inside of the light eventually, but I don't think that'll be needed.

This is a good thread to check out as well: http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=13338

Here's a PDF with details on making a softbox with CFLs: http://www.quitwh.fatcow.com/NanoLig...tNanoLight.pdf with a quick look contained in this video and some details here: http://www.victormilt.com/id54.html
    Note: I have been wrong before! - Typos are there for those that look for them. I try to do something for everybody. I have no loyalties to anything I have to pay for!

Default Upgrades!

I took out the straight bulb sockets and got adjustable outdoor fixtures for about $20 at Home Depot. This is better because most of the light comes from the side of the spiral, not the top, and also because the fixture has a lower profile so it's a little harder to smash the bulbs now. I upgraded the bulbs from N:Vision (CRI 82) to Alzo Digital (CRI 91). I have yet to shoot another project, but in the meantime these make great work lights with daylight temp bulbs!

http://www.alzodigital.com/online_st...ment_lamps.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vimeo -- YouTube -- My band's first video -- My Camera: HV20 NTSC

I think your losing light by not having a reflective material under the bulbs. How about aluminun foil. May help project better. And don't forget barndoors, if your keeping it open.
    I'm feeling frisky!

Barndoors are mostly pointless on a fluorescent light. Barndoors are really only helpful with hard light sources, and these CFL bulbs are soft light sources.. in fact, diffusion really isn't necessary either as they already put out diffuse light, unless you're using diffusion to cut down the amount of light given off.

Awesome DIY. Although i do agree with antman. Crinkle up some foil and glue!
    Canon T2i Newbie
    Sketch Comedy From Northern Virginia.http://www.youtube.com/zignutsbasement

Quote Originally Posted by tcindie View Post
    Barndoors are mostly pointless on a fluorescent light. Barndoors are really only helpful with hard light sources, and these CFL bulbs are soft light sources.. in fact, diffusion really isn't necessary either as they already put out diffuse light, unless you're using diffusion to cut down the amount of light given off.
    Certainly makes sense. Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to these types of lights. I typically use halogen, but im learning.
    I'm feeling frisky!

Quote Originally Posted by cdlynch View Post
    I took out the straight bulb sockets and got adjustable outdoor fixtures for about $20 at Home Depot. This is better because most of the light comes from the side of the spiral, not the top, and also because the fixture has a lower profile so it's a little harder to smash the bulbs now. I upgraded the bulbs from N:Vision (CRI 82) to Alzo Digital (CRI 91). I have yet to shoot another project, but in the meantime these make great work lights with daylight temp bulbs!
    Now you're thinkin!

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post
    I think your losing light by not having a reflective material under the bulbs. How about aluminun foil.
    Agreed

I've considered lining with Mylar or foil, but there's plenty of light this way, and it's softer. If I need more light I'll line them for sure.

Would it make sense to rig a similar setup in a cookie sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by tcindie View Post
    Diffusion is sometimes useful to cut down on lots of reflections; but your right it is less necessary with CFLs.

Valued Member

Great work

I really dig the "Here come the guns" video. I like the song too. Is that a Trident console in your "home studio"? Nice!

In stead of using foil, aluminum fence paint is highly reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by carlnh View Post
    I really dig the "Here come the guns" video. I like the song too. Is that a Trident console in your "home studio"? Nice!
    Thanks! Our friend Greg Condon kicked flip-book ass on that one. Yep, that's a Trident Series 65 in our shared basement studio, but I wish it was in my place!