Thread: DIY skater dolly COMPLETED!!!

Valued Member

Thumbs up DIY skater dolly COMPLETED!!!

hey everyone!

i just finished building my skater dolly and wanted to take it on its maiden voyage! it took me a while to plan it out its construction and even longer to actually build it, but now i'm finally done. i was inspired by this design

TADA!!!
    my DIY skater dolly!

actually, i'm not completely done, the tripod head is coming in the mail and the new 1/4-20 screw caps are coming next week. i'll keep everyone posted!!

check out my test footage here:
    http://www.vimeo.com/1903557

UPDATE: October 7, 2008

these are shots from the plans:

Click here for the Google Sketch-Up version
    Click here for the Adobe Illustrator version
    Click here for the Autocad version (exported from Google Sketch-up so i'm not sure if it'll work since i don't have Autocad)
    Click here for the PDF verion

enjoy!
    Last edited by some1shero; 2008 October 7th at 20:09. Reason: updated post with pictures and plans

Hey, this looks nice. I built mine about two weeks ago from the plans from dvxuser.com. Did you design yours yourself?

How does the braking mechanism work? The whole thing looks super-flat.

Valued Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibalekta View Post
    Hey, this looks nice. I built mine about two weeks ago from the plans from dvxuser.com. Did you design yours yourself?
    THANKS!!

i did design it myself. i didn't want it to look like the ones on dvxuser.com.....i'm such a bad design snob

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibalekta View Post
    How does the braking mechanism work? The whole thing looks super-flat.
    i used a screw cap to clamp down the area on which the wheels spin.

the whole thing is 3/4 of an inch thick. so it is pretty thin. the material i used was Sintra is pretty strong and lightweight. you can probably use plywood too, but i found that plywood didn't cut as smoothly.

i still have a lot to practicing to get some smooth pans though. but it's convenient to carry around, which is a huge plus for me.

That looks incredibly professional. Well done!

Formerly Known As "Aramis"

So, it works only for shots 15 cm above the ground on a smooth surface? Any way of putting a tripod or a monopod on it? The "inspirational" design accepts a tripod, but it is larger.

I like it! But it looks like it will have limited applications, and with no track.
    Aquarius

Valued Member

That looks real nice... Do you have any plans that you used to build this?

Formerly Known As "Aramis"

Here is an idea: you can make some sort of removable upside-down cups to cover the wheels, and to have tripod holes or other mounts on top of these cups. This way you will reuse space above the wheels, keeping the dolly compact.

Aramis & Braceface,

Skater dollies aren't meant to run on track; rather, the wheels can be independently adjusted and locked either to track straight or make an "orbit" of the subject at a pre-determined radius on a flat surface. The original P+S Technik (and most knock-offs) has degree markings on the rotating wheel discs to facilitate these changes, and a small PDA app tells you where to set each wheel for the desired radius.

These are most often used for tabletop cinematography (i.e., food or pack shots), but they can also be used on a small "dance floor" raised on apple boxes or C stands.

Wow. Looks like some high-end professional gear. Nicest DIY anything I've ever seen.

Valued Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EssentialParadox View Post
    That looks incredibly professional. Well done!
    THANKS! i appreciate the kinds words....but if you zoom in close enough you'll see all the mistakes i made cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    So, it works only for shots 15 cm above the ground on a smooth surface? Any way of putting a tripod or a monopod on it? The "inspirational" design accepts a tripod, but it is larger.
    i guess you CAN put a tripod on it, but i didn't have that intention since higher meant i risk the footage of losing its stability. my solution to get higher shots was to put a flat board on C stands

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidstatepro View Post
    That looks real nice... Do you have any plans that you used to build this?
    i'll update the original post with new pictures and plans soon

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Here is an idea: you can make some sort of removable upside-down cups to cover the wheels, and to have tripod holes or other mounts on top of these cups. This way you will reuse space above the wheels, keeping the dolly compact.
    i love the idea!!! hahaha. awesome!
    it's kinda funny about this skater dolly in that, i didn't intend for it to be able to flip it upside down, but it works both right-side up and upside-down. if i just use the bottom side as it is now, you can put a small tripod on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bien View Post
    Aramis & Braceface,

Skater dollies aren't meant to run on track; rather, the wheels can be independently adjusted and locked either to track straight or make an "orbit" of the subject at a pre-determined radius on a flat surface. The original P+S Technik (and most knock-offs) has degree markings on the rotating wheel discs to facilitate these changes, and a small PDA app tells you where to set each wheel for the desired radius.

These are most often used for tabletop cinematography (i.e., food or pack shots), but they can also be used on a small "dance floor" raised on apple boxes or C stands.
    nicely put!!

Quote Originally Posted by d1g1t View Post
    Wow. Looks like some high-end professional gear. Nicest DIY anything I've ever seen.
    thanks sooo much! i definitely appreciate the kinds from people.....now if only my footage was as good....blah

what are the parts for the wheel's and where can i get them? im gonna use some plywood for it
    FLIMACKGOD(fly-mack-god)
    myspace.com/flimackgod

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLIMACKGOD View Post
    what are the parts for the wheel's and where can i get them? im gonna use some plywood for it
    i kinda made the wheel part in my head and didn't really make a plan for it. so here is a quick explanation of it.

it's simply 3 concentric circles with a big hole for the wheel

they come together with glue, or in my case, i used screw caps

the sides are just square pieces that go on the sides to hold up the wheels

of course it doesn't show here but you gotta drill a hole in the square pieces so you can slide a bolt through it to hold up the wheels.

based on the plans that i posted previously, it should be pretty easy to figure out how to put it together.

plywood is good. nothing wrong with it! good luck!

anyone selling a DIY skater dolly?

Newbie Member

I bought mine (model: SL-01) here:
    http://www.omni-tracker.com/home.html

a very well done skater dollie.

thanks for the link..

maybe i just need to see one in person.
    can't justify the price from something made out of HDF