Thread: Help: LCD image turns upside down

Valued Member

Default Help: LCD image turns upside down

I was using HDVSplit to capture video to my PC. Then I open the LCD to look at what was capturing (I don't want to use HDVSplit preview as it may cause dropped frames). I saw everything that was displayed on the LCD is upside down - video, data display, etc. It only looks correct when I flip the LCD 180 degrees to face forward. I don't see any setting that changes this. Could you please help? Thanks.

The LCD has switches built into its hinges to rotate the picture to be the correct way up when the LCD is rotated. Does your LCD work OK on recording? Are you using a 35mm adapter?
    If the problem shows on recording, then these switches are damaged.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
    The LCD has switches built into its hinges to rotate the picture to be the correct way up when the LCD is rotated. Does your LCD work OK on recording? Are you using a 35mm adapter?
    If the problem shows on recording, then these switches are damaged.
    No adapter is used. Haven't tried recording but viewfinder and external display (TV/PC) looks ok. Not only is the image inverted on the LCD, all other display like counter, date/time also upside down on the LCD. I was trying the WD-H43 wide angle converter for the first time and have it removed a few minutes before this problem happened, but don't think it is related.

It does look like one of the switches is playing up. The switches are in the hinge mechanism for the LCD screen. There are a couple of threads on this Forum showing how to "fix" the switches to give a "correct" picture when using a 35mm adapter. (The adapter can invert the picture) So it could be a DIY job.
    Caution dictates that you return the camera to have it fixed under guarantee.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
    It does look like one of the switches is playing up. The switches are in the hinge mechanism for the LCD screen. There are a couple of threads on this Forum showing how to "fix" the switches to give a "correct" picture when using a 35mm adapter. (The adapter can invert the picture) So it could be a DIY job.
    Caution dictates that you return the camera to have it fixed under guarantee.
    Thanks for your comment. I have no idea how the switches can be changed through normal handling. Are you referring to this thread on LCD "flip"? http://www.cinevate.com/phpBB2/viewt...asc&highlight=

I mail order my camcorder from Japan, so returning it while under warranty is my last resort. Good news is just now the LCD display myteriously back to normal again, without me doing anything to fix it. Just hope that the problem does not happen again.

Brill!! It may have been a sticking switch - I hope so. You can see the two switches,on that thread, clearly.

grrr....why didn't this happen to my HV20, I want my images to be flipped........oh well... Isn't it ironic.... don't you think??

I find that Canon LCD hinges are the most sensitive part. I've had Canon camcorders in the past. The LCD hinges is always the first to breakdown.