Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $2 DIY Microphone Pop Filter/Screen

Default $2 DIY Microphone Pop Filter/Screen

I wasnít going to make one of these until I saw that the $12-20 ones I saw online had steep shipping charges and/or takes two weeks to get them from Hong Kong. The $30+ local price seemed okay considering the cost of materials and time to make it. Then I saw some 33-cent ankle height nylons at Walmart and $1.29 embroidery hoops at Michaels' and decided to give it a try. Bottom line, it took me five minutes (including taking the pictures) and cost less than $2.

Parts:

1 - 4" to 6Ē Embroidery Hoop ($1.29-1.59 at Michaels, Walmart, or a craft store)
    1 Ė Package ankle height nylons (33-cents at Walmart), they come in colors. Regular nylons will work.
    Scissors or razor blade (Remember to count your fingers before and afterward.)

Instructions:

1. The pieces. I bought a 4" hoop as they were out of 6" ones but I think it's big enough anyway:

2. Open the nylons' package and stretch one a bit. Separate the hoops.

3. Loosen the outer hoop a bit, stretch the nylon (I used two layers, you can use one if you prefer) over the inner hoop with outer hoop over it to hold the stretched nylon in place. You want to remove the wrinkles, creases, etc. Once youíre happy with it tighten the outer hoop. Flip the assembly over.

4. Cut off the excess nylon. I started near the toe but could have gone closer to it if I wanted. After cutting you'll probably have enough scrap left over to make another one (or for replacement pieces should you ever need them). You could make 4 of these per 33-cent set of ankle height nylons.

5. Here is the back with the excess cut off. I was going to fuse the nylon with a lighter, soldering iron, etc., but didnít want to accidentally burn a hole in them plus, since itís the back, I donít really care. Probably could have used a razor blade, too.

6. Here's the front of it. You could paint the hoops black (red, purple...) before starting if you wanted. There's assorted colors of plastic hoops as well as other shapes (almost bought oval). I like the look of the wooden ones. Using the screw area, you can attach it to a mic stand any number of ways; coat hanger or rubber coated semi-stiff copper wire (use a hose clamp pr plastic tie to attach to the stand), plastic cable ties, rubber bands...

Here's a quick test without and then with it on a Zoom H4n's internal mics.

In a hurry and ultra cheap? Wrap a coat hanger around something round (parking lot barriers come to mind) to create a circle (circle isn't required, just common). Twist the coat hanger to keep the shape. Slide a nylon over the coat hanger, stretch and tape it into position. Cut off excess -- a bit more tape to make it look clean. Attach to your mic stand or whatever and you're good to go.
    Note: I have been wrong before! - Typos are there for those that look for them. I try to do something for everybody. I have no loyalties to anything I have to pay for!

I love you

Newbie Member

Ditto: I love you...

A coat hanger, some electrical tape and a few minutes...and I have a down and dirty holder. Didnít want to cut the coat hanger or make anything fancy as this is a very temporary setup so I can do some tests on my Zoom H4n and not have to hold the pop filter:

Note: I have been wrong before! - Typos are there for those that look for them. I try to do something for everybody. I have no loyalties to anything I have to pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by CryingWindmillFP View Post
    I love you
    You two remember to use a condom.
    I'm feeling frisky!

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post
    You two remember to use a condom.
    Don't ya wanna join in?

Don't ya wanna join in?
    I guess that depends on who gets to eat the cookie.
    I'm feeling frisky!

Its amazing how fast these threads get way out of hand.

I totally agree, im usually the one that starts it Too. Damn A.D.D.
    I'm feeling frisky!

Formerly known as spaxion debuys's Avatar

I have used the coathanger solution when pop filters were $50+ . But when you can buy a pop filter that includes a gooseneck and clamp why DIY this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=pop+filter

Quote Originally Posted by spaxion View Post
    I have used the coathanger solution when pop filters were $50+ . But when you can buy a pop filter that includes a gooseneck and clamp why DIY this?
    Please read the first message where I already mentioned the $12-20 commercial pop screens and why I wasn't going to make one, etc. This was less than $2, quick (WAY faster than online ordering), works and was easy & fun to make! I can make three more from the left over nylon. I can make them in assorted sizes and I can even repair mine should I ever need to. It was an excellent learning experience for me since it's the first one I ever had. This IS the DIY area, right? Some others may like the idea, too.

I have a feeling I'm in the all too familiar, and disturbingly yellow and warm waters of the baby pool.
    That's two DIY projects I've done recently that you voiced that you don't see a use for. Fine, you don't have to like everything and are free to voice that opinion. However, might I suggest being constructive (literally) and posting some of your DIY stuff? From what you've said in the other thread I think you know WAY more about audio than I do, what have you made that you can share? Even something small, I won't critique you. Love to learn...and tinker...not tinkle in the baby pool.

If I remember correctly you bargain shopped for your HV20, right? Nothing wrong with that at all. Including making your own $20+ (remember the shipping) pop screens.
    Last edited by Crosby!; 2010 January 2nd at 22:14.

Actually, I have a question for you, spaxion, or anyone else that knows. I've seen the commercial pop filters (screens) in metal as well as fabric. the metal ones have larger holes in them so it seems like more plosives would get through. Are they as effective as the fabric ones?

Relax, I'm not thinking making one from chicken wire and duct tape...I'm out of duct tape.

Default Double Pop Filter

1. One thing I LOVE about DIY is that you can experiment and learn. Read the description of the Musician's Gear Double Pop Filter:

"The Musicians Gear Double Pop Filter is a pro-level split screen pop blocker that removes unwanted "P" and "B" consonant plosives by providing open space between the two screens. The first screen diffuses the air that causes plosive consonants, the open space between the screens disperses air pressure, and the pop filters second screen disperses the air and removes any remaining plosive consonants. The Musicians Gear Double Pop Filter features a sophisticated design that removes any air pressure and is very effective in filtering wind-caused plosives."

That has me thinking that sliding the inner hoop inside the nylon layers which gives approx. a 3/8" gap between layers might not be a bad idea vs. having two layers together.

2. Probably the wrong term but paper clamps will work great with the DIY pop filter. They come in assorted sizes (colors) and are pretty strong. Plus, there's a flat side you can drill a hole to attach a screw to then attach a wire or whatever you want to it.

Default Health Tip

Something to think about. If you have others using your pop filter, or just use it a lot, you will eventually want to toss it or it can get gross -- maybe spraying it with a disinfectant is a good idea, too. An easy thing to do with DIY, wash the hoop and replace the screen -- not so cheap with commercial ones. Granted, the metal ones you can wash. I searched for "nylon vs. metal pop filters" and got mixed opinions but nylon seemed to be preferred overall.

Just saw another DIY pop screen made from an embroidery hoop where the hoop was glued to a wooden dowel (small area of hoop was sanded first to remove the varnish) and two clamps secured it to a mic stand. Black (or dark blue) nylon and paint the hoop and dowel -- I'm thinking red or blue, and it would look pretty nice.

I like this 5-druple post. You know you can edit up to one hour, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
    I like this 5-druple post. You know you can edit up to one hour, right?
    Triple post, note the date/times. Not sure why there's a problem with three shorter posts verses one real long one.

haha not yelling or anything, just informing. I really have no problem with a few posts, but some guys freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
    haha not yelling or anything, just informing. I really have no problem with a few posts, but some guys freak out.
    Didn't think you were yellin'. Hassle with text is it can be hard to tell the mood of the writer. Gotten a few emails from friends apologizing for upsetting me. I'd read and re-read what I said and finally have to call to find out why I was supposed to be upset -- in case I missed something.

I tend to be wordy so I thought I'd be nice and start breaking my posts up. Then you go a and YELL at me for doing it!
    Last edited by Crosby!; 2010 January 3rd at 18:56.

people get angry about double posting because they forget that the forum is not a "who-has-more-posts-next-to-their-name warzone"

people get angry about double posting because they forget that the forum is not a "who-has-more-posts-next-to-their-name warzone"
    WHAT?!? It's not like "He who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!"?

Dang!

BTW, I love you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorblue View Post
    BTW, I love you, too.
    ahaha, I was wondering when the bastard was gonna return the love!

Formerly known as spaxion debuys's Avatar

That's two DIY projects I've done recently that you voiced that you don't see a use for. ... (I) Love to learn...and tinker...not tinkle in the baby pool.

If I remember correctly you bargain shopped for your HV20, right? Nothing wrong with that at all. Including making your own $20+ (remember the shipping) pop screens.
    I hope I didn't imply I disproved of the "porta-booth" I said it was fundamentally sound. I was referring to myself and video with my baby pool comment.

Actually, I have a question for you, spaxion, or anyone else that knows. I've seen the commercial pop filters (screens) in metal as well as fabric. the metal ones have larger holes in them so it seems like more plosives would get through. Are they as effective as the fabric ones?
    They are equitable. The differences are the obvious ones. Metal lasts longer, absorbs less high frequencies and is easier to clean. Nylon is lighter, cheaper and shows less spit and grime. A germaphobe will like a metal pop shield better. Compare a pencil in front of you lips too. Chicken Wire might work too.

Hassle with text is it can be hard to tell the mood of the writer
    Agreed. Emoticons only help so much hahaa

I hope I didn't imply I disproved of the "porta-booth" I said it was fundamentally sound.
    What a sec! Right here you said...okay, no, you didn't...but you did say... DRAT! Where's the embarrassed emoticon when I need it? Ah, found it.

You didn't say you didn't like it. I think when you started talking about mikes and mixers that I confused the whole issue. My bad.

If you are going DIY stretch panty hose over a coat hanger for a pop filter or hold a pencil in front of your lips.
    Okay, that you did say and doesn't that kind of counter your comment here earlier.

They are equitable. The differences are the obvious ones. Metal lasts longer, absorbs less high frequencies and is easier to clean. Nylon is lighter, cheaper and shows less spit and grime. A germaphobe will like a metal pop shield better. Compare a pencil in front of you lips too. Chicken Wire might work too.
    Thanks. After asking the differences here I surfed and found all sorts of interesting and conflicting info. Some people even use both, layered, and some refuse to use any. Some of what I've read:

"I've noticed that the mic sometimes picks up the sound of air rushing through the holes in the wire mesh on plosives. Very distracting. I've gone back to nylon mesh and put my Stedman in the closet."

"Honestly, metal pops are easier to clean than nylon, but for the absolute best sound professionals know nylon is the best."

"Any pop filter (even the ones going for $200+) will alter the recording sound."

"Most people tend to not use their pop filters correctly. The pop filter should be an inch or two away from the microphone and you should probably be working at least 6 inches away from the pop filter Often working at a slight tangent across the pop filter will also help. Additionally, having frequent sips of water for many actors helps cut down on pops."