Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $2 DIY Microphone Pop Filter/Screen

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Very stupid question, but why exactly would you need to use one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRutterFilms View Post
    Well, you could listen to the audio I posted the link to in the first message (click on "quick test") or check Wikipedia.
    Note: I have been wrong before! - Typos are there for those that look for them. I try to do something for everybody. I have no loyalties to anything I have to pay for!

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Visorblue View Post
    Well, you could listen to the audio I posted the link to in the first message (click on "quick test") or check Wikipedia.
    It's useful but limited for video applications, unless you are doing voiceovers, foleys and such.

Not so much for grabbing dialogue or an on-camera subject.

The folks at gearslutz.com have draped just about every mic on the planet with just about every material you can think of to limit plosives and sibilants, so if you're having mic noise problems and can deal with audio off-camera I suggest you check out their solutions.

This isn't going to work on a boom, but +1 for the inventiveness on a video-focused forum.

Formerly known as spaxion debuys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRutterFilms View Post
    put your hand in fornt of your face and say "popcorn balloon". You'll notice the large amount of air coming out with the p's and b's. This extra air effect is called plosives and will be misinterpreted by a mic as a low frequency sound. Even worse, since you are close to the mic there will be "proximity effect" boosting low frequencies. A "pop filter" diffuses the air channel and mitigates the negative side effects of putting a microphone so close to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by bpr103 View Post
    It's useful but limited for video applications, unless you are doing voiceovers, foleys and such.
    You're absolutely right, it's not for standard on-camera subjects. Video use is for VO's, etc. Still a video related DIY project.

Spent some time on gearslutz, nice source for info.
    Note: I have been wrong before! - Typos are there for those that look for them. I try to do something for everybody. I have no loyalties to anything I have to pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by Visorblue View Post
    Just saw another DIY pop screen made from an embroidery hoop where the hoop was glued to a wooden dowel (small area of hoop was sanded first to remove the varnish) and two clamps secured it to a mic stand. Black (or dark blue) nylon and paint the hoop and dowel -- I'm thinking red or blue, and it would look pretty nice.

what mic is that? AT 4040? or Shure?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post
    what mic is that? AT 4040? or Shure?
    I think it's a MXL-990:

Last edited by Crosby!; 2010 January 5th at 18:53.

Found a 30" piece of goose neck (no idea what it was from), a couple goose neck lamps I plan to re-purpose later (they have threaded ends), and assorted other goodies at a thrift store -- goose neck was 99-cents. Cut off about a foot of the goose neck, drilled a hole in a binder clip and screwed it to the goose neck to hold the pop filters (4" and 6" pictured below), and used cable ties to secure the base of the goose neck to a clamp. Works for me: