Thread: 550d + Praktica B Mount Lenses?

Valued Member

Default 550d + Praktica B Mount Lenses?

Hi,
    Well a while ago I bought a HV40 but its been a little unloved (or should I say un used!) as I got into taking stills with my 1000d and completely forgot about video. As I feel its time to upgrade my DSLR, I was thinking I'd sell both the 1000d and the HV40 and opt for something that can do both.
    Recently I was given my Grandads old lense collection (Praktica B Mount) and reading some threads on here I got all psyched for M42 lenses and then realised that I could just get an adapter for the lenses I have sitting in the cupboard.
    Question is, has anyone else used these lenses or more importantly the adapters? I'm looking at an ebay, Praktica to EOS adapter with AF confirmation.
    Reading some other stuff I've read about infinity focus problems and generally a loose fit. Anybody care to point me in the direction of an adapter worth buying?
    Thanks in advance.

If you see the ones on ebay, some have glass, some do not. Get the ones with glass if you want infinity focus, otherwise, it wont focus to infinity.

Valued Member

This was what I found

It doesn't have any glass but the spiel says:

"It can also provide "focus to infinite" availability."

I haven't see any with glass (with or without AF confirm)

It should work.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
    It should work.
    Here's hoping!

Do you know if you HAVE to enter setting mode to use these or will they work just fine without? It'd seem a bit of a pain to HAVE to re-program the chip on the adapter for the four different lenses I intend to use it with.

(now all I need to do is work out market value for the HV40 and I'm away on my 550 dream)

I have a M42 adapter on my 550/T2i. They are available, and at least mechanically, they work. No glass in them. (Beware of Hama brand - a unit I tested, and returned, lacked a stop pin, making the adapter spin 360° instead of just 120°.)

I'm dubious about the "AF confirmation" - old lenses have no electronics, but are there adapters with it?

I have to use either full manual (M) or let the camera set the exposure time after I've set the aperture (Av). Camera will always show aperture as "00".

Edit 1: Beware! Praktica B (bayonet) and M42 "screw" mounts are completely different, not compatible!

Edit 2:
    I took a look at some ebay "AF confirm" adapters. At least one of them is a hoax, lacks the mechanical ability to interact with the stop-down pin on a M42 lens. You can check this: If the threads go all the way through the adapter, it won't interact with the aperture pin. There needs to be a narrow flange inside the threads, at the back side of the adapter. Also, the "chip" added to the adapters look like they're glued on. Have no idea if and how they work...

Caveat emptor!
    Last edited by Janke; 2010 April 8th at 02:37. Reason: more info

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Edit 1: Beware! Praktica B (bayonet) and M42 "screw" mounts are completely different, not compatible!
    I'm aware of this.

Edit 2:
    I took a look at some ebay "AF confirm" adapters. At least one of them is a hoax, lacks the mechanical ability to interact with the stop-down pin on a M42 lens. You can check this: If the threads go all the way through the adapter, it won't interact with the aperture pin. There needs to be a narrow flange inside the threads, at the back side of the adapter. Also, the "chip" added to the adapters look like they're glued on. Have no idea if and how they work...
    Just to clarify I have a load of the PB B fitting lenses. These do have contacts on them. I believe for your camera to 'know' what aperture you're at (if you need it to for EXIF), then you can enter a setting mode and program it, however each lense you use with the adapter will require either another ring or re-programming with min ap, max ap and focal length each time you switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
    If you see the ones on ebay, some have glass, some do not. Get the ones with glass if you want infinity focus, otherwise, it wont focus to infinity.
    According to this, that's not necessarily true.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html

Looking at the table half way down the page.

Bennp2000, I'm looking at doing the same with my old lenses Zuiko, Sigma, Pentax, Helios, Tamron and Mamiyia medium format stuff, it's all gathering dust and the fun to be had spurs me on the push the button on a 550d DSLR strictly for video as I have a Nikon D80. At £600.00 quid including the £50 cash back that's what I paid for my HV30.

I love my HV30, a DSLR won't completely replace it for long recordings but can see so much more on offer even with some of the 550d limitations .

Valued Member

Nice table that. Shame they aren't linked to products!

The 550 will replace my HV40 as I never pick up both when I go out, just one or the other.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bennp2000 View Post
    Nice table that. Shame they aren't linked to products!

The 550 will replace my HV40 as I never pick up both when I go out, just one or the other.
    Well both my 550d and the Praktica PB B to EOS mount arrived (I went with a no programmable chip WITH AF confirm).

So far I've only used the AF confirm for stills but it seems pretty good even when shooting wide open. You need to change the AF point to the center or else it'll just pick one of the other 8 at random which gets frustrating.

From what I read none of the PB B mounts have actually been verified at being able to infinity focuse without mods (due to the thickness of the adapter. I went with a seller that seemed forthcoming about this.

Without further ado here is my 550d, sporting a 50mm F/1.8:

I also now have the use of a 28mm F/2.8, another 50mm F/1.8 (very soft) and a 135mm F/2.8.

If anybody is interested in seeing any tests then let me know what you'd like to see and I'll get on it.

I haven't tried PB mount lenses yet. But from what I've found on the net, some will have infinity focus problems, others will not. So I've decided to stay away from them for the most part. There's plenty of old M42 and C/Y mounts out there.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut View Post
    I haven't tried PB mount lenses yet. But from what I've found on the net, some will have infinity focus problems, others will not. So I've decided to stay away from them for the most part. There's plenty of old M42 and C/Y mounts out there.
    I just happened to have four PB mount lenses lying around

Valued Member

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/11249452"]550d Test with 50mm F/1.8 Praktica PB Lense on Vimeo[/ame]

Sorry about the poor camera skills, it was just a very quick test.

Straight out of Camera, onto Vegas Timeline and Rendered in WMV 720p

Thanks! Looks nice, but looks poor with stabilization, isn't it?

I'm thinking to get this adapter, this lenses are sou cheap!!

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by banicos View Post
    Thanks! Looks nice, but looks poor with stabilization, isn't it?

I'm thinking to get this adapter, this lenses are sou cheap!!

I think thats me. I would stick it on a tripod for a better test but my tripod is an old rubbish cheapo job.

eheh, thanks!