Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second hand- My New Short! Shot on hv30 with a Jag35st.

Valued Member

Default second hand- My New Short! Shot on hv30 with a Jag35st.

hey there , here is my short film entitiled "second hand." It involves a young man struggling with his thoughts while on a bus ride. He thinks back to a girl that he likes, but is overtaken by the thoughts of what he does to her, more specifically her fur coat.

This was all shot on my HV30 and edited\ color graded in Final Cut Pro. I also used a Jag35st Static 35mm adaptor, and a Rode Videomic.

Please leave your comments!

Thanks

[ame="http://vimeo.com/11612697"]second hand. on Vimeo[/ame]

I'm not really understanding the story/plot/characters?

I'm guessing the protagonist is anti-fur or something?

Valued Member

ya it is a triumph of the main characters morals (anti-fur) over his feelings of lust for the girl. That is the whole message from the film.

Forum Mogul

If humans failed to utilize fur you wouldn't exist today. Get over it!

Seriously though, the handheld shake-fest really stopped me from watching the past the first minute.

Valued Member

Thats an argument ive heard too many times. I dispell the use of fur for VANITY sake. These days fur is a trend that comes and goes, and unfortunetely many many animals live horrific and terribly short lives for someone to wear their skin. Dont act like fur is a vital component in clothing these days!

And as far as the handheld stuff goes... im sorry you cant handle it. But it was a concious decision to use handheld, not an arbitrary one

Valued Member

I thought the shots and editing were great. Good pacing for a short that has no dialogue.

Forum Mogul

Cool. Hope you reach your audience with the jiggly camera.

And the part about fur was a joke, but I guess you didn't catch that.

I had a hard time watching it due to the shakyness. Handheld is not a problem, but stabilize it somehow. Even though we know the bus is not a smooth ride, I still think it could have been smoother. The editing was good, but I don't care for the Jag35st. I used to have one, and ugh.. just don't like how it degrades the image. But otherwise good job.
    www.exit101movie.com
    exit101movie.blogspot.com

How does the main character know that its not faux fur? He should have asked her! Make a sequel where the boyfriend beats the crap out of that guy for throwing paint on his girlfriends faux fur jacket...lol

Sorry for not offering any constructive critism, I guess Im not in the mood right now.
    Canon 5D Mk2 / Canon HV20

Quote Originally Posted by akane2 View Post
    Thats an argument ive heard too many times. I dispell the use of fur for VANITY sake. These days fur is a trend that comes and goes, and unfortunetely many many animals live horrific and terribly short lives for someone to wear their skin. Dont act like fur is a vital component in clothing these days!
    So? Kill baby seals and make some baby seal socks. My feet are cold.

Why should I care if that upsets you? You don't own the freakin' planet or all the animals on it.

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gillvane View Post

Why should I care if that upsets you? You don't own the freakin' planet or all the animals on it.
    Thats pretty good man.

Valued Member

wow really good quality how do you get such good qualitly? check out my vids all shot with hv30 not nearly s good as yours!

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by zzddevilzz View Post
    wow really good quality how do you get such good qualitly? check out my vids all shot with hv30 not nearly s good as yours!
    YouTube- GREENY 2
    just shot it in cinemode and 24p. Did some color correction in final cut, and used a 35mm adaptor. Besides that nothing out of the norm.

Valued Member

Ok thanks!

Newbie Member

Smile

I liked it in general -- the bus journey could've been shorter, but it was not tiresome at all. BUT the most important for me --and you won my heart immediately--was the theme: Anti-fur. I appreciated it very much since I dedicate a great deal of my life bringing awareness to the horrific suffering inflicted up on countless millions of fur bearing animals simply for vanity. I will post the video to all my groups!
    Warm regards,
    www.antifursociety.org

Default oooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy Flapper View Post
    Cool. Hope you reach your audience with the jiggly camera.

And the part about fur was a joke, but I guess you didn't catch that.

oooh! Bitchy!

not feeling the shakyness too bro, i think it was the wrong choice- it didn't really suit the tone of the piece. maybe you could have cropped some of those shots in too, could see the top of the stair bannisters for example.

didn't really care about this guy, i didn't know who he was and to be honest got a little bored of waiting for something to happen after like a minute.

music SUCKED.

looked real nice though, edited kinda well.

peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillvane View Post

lol....

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by tikishirt View Post
    not feeling the shakyness too bro, i think it was the wrong choice- it didn't really suit the tone of the piece. maybe you could have cropped some of those shots in too, could see the top of the stair bannisters for example.

didn't really care about this guy, i didn't know who he was and to be honest got a little bored of waiting for something to happen after like a minute.

music SUCKED.

looked real nice though, edited kinda well.

peace.

The "top of the stair bannister" was in there intentionally. Obviously you didnt notice the theme of objects out of focus in the foreground the entire film. This is a technique to give more of a sence of depth to these frame.

Im sorry you didnt like the story or the main character. And no the music didnt suck, thats just an ignorant statement.

Shakiest video I've ever seen. Was the frame rate 15 fps? It looked like it =/ maybe it's Vimeo

Forum Mogul

I don't think the sound was too bad, but it felt kinda moody and generic. If I had to guess I'd say it was stock sound that you thought fit the mood.

One, and a minor nitpick.. the period in the title "Second Hand." seems wrong, as if it doesn't belong there.

Valued Member

the pacing was well done...

...the anti fur thing is ridiculous...some guy who day dreams about cuddling and nuzzling rabbits, while on his way to go vandalize some girl he thinks is hot... but doesnt follow his moral set. WHAT KIND OF MAN ATTACKS A WOMEN IN A PARK?!

aside from that a few minor issues:

first off, he's wearing a tshirt on a clearly nice day, while she's wearing a warm as hell fur coat makes no sense, and makes it seem forced.

the bus scene is way to long.

and lastly when hes watching her from the bench right before the attack it seems like he's about to straight up rape her...
    ....which leads into the end, which was played out like a murder... or maybe a "murder of CHARACTER!"

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by akane2 View Post

And as far as the handheld stuff goes... im sorry you cant handle it. But it was a concious decision to use handheld, not an arbitrary one
    With you all the way, sadly a large percentage of us animal species does not give a sod for the other species we are making extinct daily, slight downside some of the other moans were right includuding the film is a bit shakey at times

Quote Originally Posted by theBman View Post

some guy who day dreams about cuddling and nuzzling rabbits, while on his way to go vandalize some girl he thinks is hot... "
    Its called "inter-species erotica"

Valued Member

lol