Thread: Juicedllink versus the H4N on the 60d

Default Juicedllink versus the H4N on the 60d

The Canon 60D got rid of the automatic gain control.

Probably subsequent canon models will follow suit.

That means you can use the juicedlink,and plug in XLR mics to the camera.

Which would be better on the 60d?

A juicedlink, with an xlr shotgun mic, or an H4N?

Obviously, with a juiced link you don't have to sync the sound in post.

H4N is about 300 bucks.

This juicedlink is about 200 bucks:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Mixer_and.html

And then you still need a mic and xlr cable.

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gillvane View Post
    The Canon 60D got rid of the automatic gain control.
    Which would be better on the 60d? > A juicedlink, with an xlr shotgun mic, or an H4N?
    No sync with a mic + xlr cable plugged into the 60d, only restriction is the audio quality that the 60d records to. Simple and cost effective.
    JuicedLink with a mic along the 60d : ability to boost the signal on microphones that have a less 'hot' signal. Good option, always a usefull device to carry in your gear.
    Zoom H4 : talking about audio quality, it's the best option. Internal preamp, which aren't as noisy as people say. Depending on what you're looking for.

Get the minimum = no sync in post.
    Get the H4 and benefit of a good audio quality, just sync it in post (takes only a couple of minutes to sync everything)
    Or what you can do is plug the mic in the zoom, and use the headphone output to connect it to the mic input (as long as you can lower the volume enough in the 60d to avoid clipping & distortion) = that way you'll have a good reference to sync from the 60d and a backup audio track if something goes wrong.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

The Zoom H4n would offer more versatility. Like drapeama said, you can plug the mikes into the H4n and the H4n into the 60D for no syncing and a nice audio backup on the H4n. With the H4n you have the built-in mikes, ability to set it up separately from the camera and use the 60D for ambient sound or mic it, too. You can use the Zoom as a wireless, take it in the field for sound gathering, voice overs, etc.
    Note: I have been wrong before! - Typos are there for those that look for them. I try to do something for everybody. I have no loyalties to anything I have to pay for!

When I'm using my HV30 and the Tascam recorder, I get four separate channels for sound - and indeed, I've sometimes put lav mics on four people simultaneously...