Thread: Tokina 0.45x Wide-Angle

Default Tokina 0.45x Wide-Angle

I have been looking for the HV20 Wide angle lens. The 190 US$ price tag of the Canon WD-H43 0.7x turned me away (http://www.amazon.com).

I went on ebay to look for cheaper price and stumbled on the Tokina 0.45x lense. It is a lense made by Sakar. It comes from Japan: http://sakar.com

At 43 US$ including shipping I was sold.

I got the lense today and did the following quick test. At 1st glance the lense look fantastic and the footage done with appear flawless. I noticed focus hunting when zoomed to 10x... but I can leave with that for the price.

I have posted a quick test footage on vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/399843

Tought I would share this with you.

Valued Member

Doesn't look like .45x does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Taynt3d View Post
    Doesn't look like .45x does it?
    Yeah... I think that the 0.45 is before the macro lens. With the macro lens on it is more like 0.7x.

Quote Originally Posted by bmaltais View Post
    Yeah... I think that the 0.45 is before the macro lens. With the macro lens on it is more like 0.7x.
    Can the wide angle be mounted without the macro as well?

I agree, looks really sharp. I bought the same lens with the telephoto as well (used, but even cheaper), can't wait to try it when it arrives.

By the way, it's amazing how many 'brand' names the same product seems to have. I found the same lens (looks the same, same specs) as Tokina, Digital Concepts, Merkury...

I have uploaded two test clips done with the Tokina (Sakar) lens:

http://www.vimeo.com/400670

and

http://www.vimeo.com/400695

I am impressed with the overall quality... but the focus speed is way slower witht the lens on ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by bmaltais View Post
    (...) but the focus speed is way slower witht the lens on ;-(
    That's most probably because the wide angle obscures the Instant Autofocus part of the cam. If you didn't turn it off yet, switch it to standard autofocus.

That looks indeed surprisingly good. Is this the same as the Merkury lens?
    Did it come with a step up ring?

Are you planning on doing some more tests? One thing I'd really like to see is how it behaves in mid-zoom. And preferably with different f-stops to see if it gets worse when wide open.

I'm leaving for vacation on Dec 1 and my time to decide is growing very short. I was set on the 6600 already, but I'd like to see if this lens is indeed a cheap alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    That looks indeed surprisingly good. Is this the same as the Merkury lens?
    Did it come with a step up ring?

Are you planning on doing some more tests? One thing I'd really like to see is how it behaves in mid-zoom. And preferably with different f-stops to see if it gets worse when wide open.

I'm leaving for vacation on Dec 1 and my time to decide is growing very short. I was set on the 6600 already, but I'd like to see if this lens is indeed a cheap alternative...
    Just saw your post. I will try to capture some more test clips at mid zoom range and vary the f-stops. Sound like an interesting test to do.

P.S.: It does come with the step-up ring. The actual Macro lens won't fit the step-up ring on it's own. You have to use the macro lens with it. This is the way it was intended to be used.

Here is a link to a test a mid zoom range using the Tokina wide-angle lense. I have varied the aperture as asked. There is no apparent change in resolution... outside the progressivelly darker and noisier picture:

http://www.vimeo.com/404571

Hope this will help you.

P.S.: Sorry for the boring scene ;-)

So what is the conclusion? Is this better or the Merkury?
    Thanks

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    So what is the conclusion? Is this better or the Merkury?
    Thanks

Yeah man, dying to know, bout to read the WA shootout post, but real life is always better...I'm doin some music videos up in NYC soon, stealin shots left and right, wa mos def needed.

i just got mine, and after the first short test i'm very impressed. it requires macro focusing, so either you have to be on full wide, zooming in just a tiny bit throws the image completely out of focus, or you have to use the supplied macro adapter, using which you get full zoom through even though the image is a little soft zoomed allt he way in. without macro you do get the full 0.45x, and with the macro you get around 0.7x. the sharpness is slightly reduced overall because of the extra glass, as suspected, but no obvious weird wide angle artifacts like edge blur, coma, vignetting or falloff. for this price i can only recommend it.

/matt

Forum Mogul

Quote Originally Posted by mattias View Post
    i just got mine, and after the first short test i'm very impressed. it requires macro focusing, so either you have to be on full wide, zooming in just a tiny bit throws the image completely out of focus, or you have to use the supplied macro adapter, using which you get full zoom through even though the image is a little soft zoomed allt he way in. without macro you do get the full 0.45x, and with the macro you get around 0.7x. the sharpness is slightly reduced overall because of the extra glass, as suspected, but no obvious weird wide angle artifacts like edge blur, coma, vignetting or falloff. for this price i can only recommend it.

/matt
    Full wide without the macro = .45X? Should be like a fish eye. Got a screen shot/still image?
    Check out my videos here: http://www.youtube.com/24Peter

i'll try to post one later today. yes, it's fisheye, with more barrel distortion than any skateboarding photographer could ever ask for. :-)

/matt

ok, here are three captures, one normal, one with adapter + macro, and one adapter only. as you can see the sharpness falls off a bit in the corners in the widest one, but not more than expected and it's still perfectly sharp in the middle. sorry about the lousy technical quality, i was in a hurry.

/matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, nice to see I am not the only one using the Tokina! Is it the tokina or the Mercury? I think they are the same any way ;-)

it's the tokina.

/matt

Forum Mogul

Quote Originally Posted by mattias View Post
    it's the tokina.

/matt
    Matt - how are you mounting the .45x on your camera? My Merkury has an odd thread size once you take the macro portion off - something like 53.5mm. I haven't been able to find a step up/adapter ring in that size.
    Check out my videos here: http://www.youtube.com/24Peter

same here, i was just holding it. one solution would be to buy another one and take the glass out of the macro ring. the entire adapter isn't much more expensive than a step up ring anyway. ;-)

/matt

There's this Digital Concepts (by Sakar) wide angle lens (most often bundled with a completely useless Telephoto), which doesn't have a macro. It's just a 0,5 one piece wide angle. It says "DIGITAL HIGH DEFINITION 0.5X WIDE ANGLE LENS CHINA". I've got one and compared it to another 0,5X I've got (really old and really huge) and found it to be a little less wide. Anyway, at full wide, the image quality is excellent. I didn't find any chromatic aberrations, egde blurriness or vignetting (it's got a 52mm thread, by the way).

However, it's completely non-zoomable, IMHO, as the edges of the image start blurrying very soon. For a cheap alternative if you just need that extra wide shot and don't keep it on the cam for other shots, I can really recommend it. I'm used to work that way anyway, I only use a wide angle converter when I really need it for specific upclose shots I couldn't get otherwise.

Interested in any comparison pics?

Before I forget, here's an ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/43mm-WIDE-TELE-L...QQcmdZViewItem

And like I said: don't bother about the included telephoto lens. It produces severe vignetting at full wide and at full tele, the image is just a blurry mess (could only be useful if you're after a 'psycho-dream-sequence' look...).

Newbie Member

Hi, HV20 newbie here. I'm looking for a fun lens, nothing too serious. Has anybody tried out this 0.38X ultra wide from "Digital Optics" - seems like the same company?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/0-38X-HD-Fishe...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry about the ebay link. I like the spec and the 72mm front thread, but no idea how it performs. Any feedback welcome.

Many thanks.

Default a wide-angle winner!

I just got lucky and found a Minolta branded Kenko lens, the LD-055w, .55x lens on Ebay for $15. I took a chance and it panned out. The lens is sharp from edge to edge at the wide angle with some barrel distortion, and gets a bit fuzzy when zoomed in all the way, so I guess it's not zoom-through.

It had a 52mm opening so I got a 43mm-52mm step-up ring and the auto-focus still works. I've owned Kenko lenses before with good results. It's also colored silver so it looks like it was made for the camcorder.

On the downside, I had previously gotten a wide angle lens on Ebay from GoShot Camera, a Phoenix brand supposedly made in Japan, which was supposed to fit and work on an HV20. I had to send it back because it didn't fit, then they sent me an adapter ring which fit but the lens was so blurry around the edges that it was unusable. Since I had thrown away the box and warrantee paper, they would not take it back for a refund. Needless to say, I will not do business with them again.

Default What's Final Verdict on the Tokina WA Lens?

I was just about to pull the trigger on this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-Lens-...sid=p1638.m118

The Tokina Wide Angle Lens with Marco and Adapter. If anyone has both, the Canon WD-H43 and this Tokina, I'd love to know if there is a significant difference in quality of footage. I normally spend the extra $ for a brand name but the Tokina looks impressive.

I know there is a difference when it comes to price but based on some of the sample footage it seems that the Tokina is the way to go.

Thanks,

Segway