Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Changes

Future son-in-law?

Stop Fighting.
    You'll never know if you don't go. GO!

Future son-in-law?

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'm stumped.

Right on, Duck.

I was happy to wait and see how this 'fresh new contest' works out. But some people seem to enjoy sh!t stirring. I'll reserve judgement in silence. Do people like krewcial know how to keep their BIG MOUTHS shut too?

Quote Originally Posted by KingDucky View Post
    If that doesn't do the trick, then I'm stumped.
    Sure made me smile, Buddy.
    Glass doesn't break like Hollywood would like us to believe. #experience

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    But some people seem to enjoy sh!t stirring.
    Ha. Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    You make me laugh.

Anyway, moving on.

Seems there is a contest already going on: A pi$$ing contest. Entertaining!
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

I say if no one has anything to contribute to the contest/thread then I say just stay out of the thread. Attracts people in the thread that wouldn't have been in here in the first place. Lets all get a long or at least not bicker.

New rule: No One Is Leaving.

Frankly I don't have a problem with arguments, but everybody, stop threatening to leave or tell others to put up or get out.

Future son-in-law?

Frankly I don't have a problem with arguments, but everybody, stop threatening to leave or tell others to put up or get out.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Playing View Post
    +1
    Add another +99 and that's me!
    Glass doesn't break like Hollywood would like us to believe. #experience

OK...The DVC19 contest is just ending, all entries are in, being reviewed and instructions for judging/voting will be issued tomorrow. I'm posting links to the threads that show how this contest runs without any arguing, complaining, or "fuss" of any kind. Been working this way for 3 years or more without a hitch.

Contest rules and theme announcement:
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-chall...-go-go-go.html

Entries released for "viewing" and comments:
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-chall...finalists.html

Note the final listed entry "Masked Assassin" is a "Non Competitive" entry by Lorinda Norton, the contest co-ordinator. When Dylan Couper, the one who started the DVC challenge 3 years ago, submits an entry he declares his "non competitive". This is these individuals way of "jumping in the pool" with the rest of us. They get to have the fun, too, and they also get valuable feedback from anyone who looks at the FEEDBACK section which follows.

Feedback Threads:
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/

I put these links here so all could see how non controversial a contest can be run. We can have and maintain the same kind of atmosphere if we will just do it and not worry about the details. That's what we have a moderator/coordinator for. And in the 3 years + the DVC contest has run there has never been a complaint about the coordinator.

We "sign up", wait for the theme, create and submit an entry if we can.

I hope this gives us all the motivation to support our coordinator and give him a chance to make it work. We can have a heckuva lot of fun with it here.

Bruce Foreman

I am a reforming videomaking addict

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    Note the final listed entry "Masked Assassin" is a "Non Competitive" entry by Lorinda Norton, the contest co-ordinator. When Dylan Couper, the one who started the DVC challenge 3 years ago, submits an entry he declares his "non competitive". This is these individuals way of "jumping in the pool" with the rest of us. They get to have the fun, too, and they also get valuable feedback from anyone who looks at the FEEDBACK section which follows.
    And this is how I will be entering the contests. I will be getting in the mix, but I won't allow myself to win.

A-ha! Daniel has been made a moderator. Great news, I must consider a come-back.

May I perhaps say a word to inspire the winners to use a bit more creativity as hosting the next round. What I mean is: the theme could be a PAN
    or DOLLY SHOT just as well. Or the theme could be to shoot a script that the last winner wrote. More creativity like this would bring out the fun out
    a bit more. Surprises and wild ideas.

Future son-in-law?

Dylan Couper
    DYLAN!

He runs contests elsewhere, while the Hv20 aren't active.

(or it could be another Dylan).

UPDATING THE PROPOSALS

Due to the turnout's of the last two contests, I'm calling out to regular entrants to share input.

The turnout of the last two contests (co-incidently, the two I've been in charge of) have been poor. Not poor quality, just poor quantity. Now, I've taken into consideration the changing of the time for each contest, I changed it from two weeks to three... thinking that would improve our turnout and maybe give more people time to perfect and improve their entries. As you all know, I was actively against this change when Shigeta and Huey were in charge... yet I felt that the people had a right to be tested, and so I changed the rule.

Now, while this was only ONE try at the change... it still says that a lot of people were 'pulling our legs'. And the time they were requesting, wasn't put to use as they said it would be. Turnout didn't change at all.

I'm willing to give this time change ONE LAST TRY, after the Christmas special is over, before I scrap it. I'd suggest, if you were one of those who requested the change... that you take notice, and stop procrastinating.

Prize pool
    This is another factor. Enticing more entries by offering prizes for the winners. This would require many things, such as donations (things to be given as prizes, and cash to purchase such items) and someone to manage this effectively.
    There was talk long ago of having an "end of year" contest, where all previous entries were voted against... and the one voted the winner would receive a prize of some sort. This could very well be done, but someone in the U.S (closer to the demographics) would need to handle prizes and such. In my situation, I cannot afford to post/ship prizes from Australia to places all over the world. Someone would need to donate their time (and effectively) their money to achieve this. It must be someone trustworthy.

What say you?

I do like the extra week given. The only reason I was not able to participate is the fact that I was working on a project already for school, plus work, plus girlfriend, plus finals. Obviously a lot to take on. but Finals are almost over so I maybe actually be able to enjoy myself and do a short film, and a good one since I have THREE weeks instead of TWO. So i do like this change.

Regarding The Prize. I would like a non-monetary valued prize. Not sure what it could be tho. Maybe picking the plotline or idea for the theme, that always got me going
    The Somnium - Winner of Antman's Film Contests #9 & Indy Mogul 5mmh #9
    Snoballs Winner of Indy Mogul 5mmh #27

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fade to inferno View Post
    Regarding The Prize. I would like a non-monetary valued prize. Not sure what it could be tho.
    Maybe the person in charge of the prize could arrange something with an ebay store like the DV City or something, so we could beneficiate of some sort of a deal, with a certain % off the regular price for the winner to buy the item he needs. That's just an idea i'm suggesting, and it wouldn't require anybody to invest or donate money. That solution would also give free advertising to the store.
    Just let me know what you think guys!
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

HD Shorts Moderator

I think the plotline concept would work, but that particular plotline was perhaps a little too specific? A more general plotline for the next one might help... and a prize.

Future son-in-law?

We should have an actual prize. This gets more people.

We're also trying to attract outside people. We keep changing the rules based off what active users say..yet none of them enter?(cept Timmy-he enters alot ).

If a monetary prize or an item doesn't work...then we revert to more advertisement.

Needs to be rewarding somehow to finish. The response for them who make it is crucial.

About the 2 or 3 weeks I would suggest that the theme would be given in advance to give people more time to think about ideas,
    but I won't because the stress of having little time gives you a creative kick as well.

In general I'd suggest endlessly creative solutions that makes it fun to go out and shoot.

Well there are a few people saying yes and no to the prizes.

We all know how ridiculously hard it would be to set up something like this, and I don't want to set it up only to see it not being used... so here is what I'm proposing. February next year, I will be holding a "Best of 2010" contest, and I will personally supply the prize(s). Now, I don't have a lot of cash... so it won't be a lot. But it will be beneficial to the winner.

What do I want in return? I want to see MORE ENTRIES. Before I'd consider running the February special, I want to see more entries in the next contest(s). More people need to enter, and frankly... we need your help. So, tell your film making buddies... advertise at any other video forums you visit. Put the banner in your signature! Hell... I'll make a few banners so that you guys can use them.

We need dedicated people. Hands up, those who WANT to help out?

Future son-in-law?

I'll tell some of mai frands.

We should have an actual prize. This gets more people.
    It doesn't in the other contest venues. Where there is a prize it is appreciated by the winners, and maybe envied by those who came close but most enter for the experience of it.

We're also trying to attract outside people. We keep changing the rules based off what active users say..yet none of them enter?(cept Timmy-he enters alot ).
    Which shows rule changes don't attract new folks. Tim kind of proves my point about folks going for the experience of it. His finished entries have improved steadily. Rules changes flat don't affect what he does one way or another.

If a monetary prize or an item doesn't work...then we revert to more advertisement.
    Constant promotion, reminders, and the CHALLENGE of it will do more than anything else. What we are working against is the natural tendency for us to not "put our ego on the line".

Bruce Foreman

Quote Originally Posted by RockDonkey View Post
    Needs to be rewarding somehow to finish. The response for them who make it is crucial.
    Finishing, actually doing something and having the "guts" to submit and put it "out there" is rewarding. For those very few who win that is a special thing in itself but all who finish something and submit "win" a contest with themselves.

I have one first place win where prizes were awarded, and nice ones, too. (A portable hard drive and a special 5x7" laminated white balance card) But the real "win" for me was finishing all 6 challenges in that venue that year (they did award a free UWOL tee shirt for that to all who finished all 6), the feedback I got on all, and the respect of the other participants all year long.

The prizes on the award were nice but the real reward on that one was presenting my actor with both the raw video and finished product that won. His horse (also featured in that entry with him) had to be "put down" just a few months ago due to a massive cancer, so that video I produced has long lasting memory significance for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDonkey View Post
    About the 2 or 3 weeks I would suggest that the theme would be given in advance to give people more time to think about ideas,
    That removes a big part of the "challenge" aspect. Look at other contest venues, the theme/topic is given on the start date. I know I keep pointing out "how it's done" in other contest/challenge venues, not because I feel we need to "imitate" them, but because it seems to have been working for them without the constant reaching for change that we go through here.

Typically only a small percentage of forum "lurkers" actually jump in and do something. We need to figure out a way to get more people paying attention.

Bruce Foreman
    Last edited by Bif; 2010 December 7th at 12:42.

Future son-in-law?

Which shows rule changes don't attract new folks.
    Maybe not time changes. I honestly think some sort of reward could possibly get a few more people. We won't know till we try it.

Constant promotion, reminders, and the CHALLENGE of it will do more than anything else. What we are working against is the natural tendency for us to not "put our ego on the line".
    We definitely need that no matter what.