Thread: Atomos Ninja and HV20 or HV30... Hdmi specs = match made in heaven?

Default Atomos Ninja and HV20 or HV30... Hdmi specs = match made in heaven?

I was an early lover of the Hv20 and even bought and used two of them for a project in Zambia.

I am 4years removed, and have moved on to shooting the EX1 and EX3... While I await Scarlet.......

HOWEVER... I never forgot how wonderful the Hv20 was... My dream was for a portable device to record the hdmi directly, since all you could save with a focus was the HDV and that didn't really help...

Well, the Atomos Ninja is here, and I need some cameras for multiple angles for an interview and i thought I can film the Atomos' screen with my EX3 for that E:60 interview look from handheld or a dolly. But what camera to plug into the Atomos?

I'm thinking about my old friend, the HV20/30, and the prices look right for my budget... And while I'm not as "excited" to be the guinea pig as I used to be, I'll do it for you, readers of HV20.com, if I can get the straight scoop.

1. What is the colorspace on the hdmi out on the HV20 and HV30?
    2. Is the image compromised in any way (delay is okay, image mangling is not)
    3. I know it shoots 24p in 60i, so you don't have to worry about me complaining like a noob. I did it with tape, I'm sure doing it from ProRes files will be every bit as easy.
    4. Is there something I'm missing? Or does it make sense that the HV and the Atomos Ninja is a match made in heaven?

Your help very appreciated.

Lampstandfilms.org
    (sorry for the dupe... I realized after I posted in 24p workflow that it was the wrong place to ask question... Very sorry)

Valued Member

Quote Originally Posted by coloradosti View Post
    I was an early lover of the Hv20 and even bought and used two of them for a project in Zambia.

I am 4years removed, and have moved on to shooting the EX1 and EX3... While I await Scarlet.......

HOWEVER... I never forgot how wonderful the Hv20 was... My dream was for a portable device to record the hdmi directly, since all you could save with a focus was the HDV and that didn't really help...

Well, the Atomos Ninja is here, and I need some cameras for multiple angles for an interview and i thought I can film the Atomos' screen with my EX3 for that E:60 interview look from handheld or a dolly. But what camera to plug into the Atomos?

I'm thinking about my old friend, the HV20/30, and the prices look right for my budget... And while I'm not as "excited" to be the guinea pig as I used to be, I'll do it for you, readers of HV20.com, if I can get the straight scoop.

1. What is the colorspace on the hdmi out on the HV20 and HV30?
    2. Is the image compromised in any way (delay is okay, image mangling is not)
    3. I know it shoots 24p in 60i, so you don't have to worry about me complaining like a noob. I did it with tape, I'm sure doing it from ProRes files will be every bit as easy.
    4. Is there something I'm missing? Or does it make sense that the HV and the Atomos Ninja is a match made in heaven?

Your help very appreciated.

Lampstandfilms.org
    (sorry for the dupe... I realized after I posted in 24p workflow that it was the wrong place to ask question... Very sorry)

I am currently using this setup. I have the Ninja mounted above my HV20 on the hotshoe hooked up with a very short HDMI cable.

1. Colour space is 4:2:2...sort of. Apparently a single CMOS Bayer sensor can never truly be 4:2:2 as there is subsampling involved. Is this true? I just don't have the technical knowledge to give you a definitive answer. What I can tell you is that the image is extremely clean because of the light compression in the prores codec. Well worth it for this reason alone IMHO.

2. Image is not compromised like it is on DSLRs. You will be getting a clean 60i signal. Either pure 60i or 24p in a 60i wrapper.

3. Yes, this is easy to deal with in After Effects CS5. Simply import the file, guess pulldown, and edit without transcoding.

4. You are not missing anything. I've found the Ninja to be a fantastic tool. Well built and works as advertised. Atomos are proactive and regularly releasing firmware updates. The only thing is, it is a bit of overkill for this camera. I would love to see what it can do hooked up to a 3MOS XF300. That said, it will give you the best possible image your HVXX is capable of, short of capturing uncompressed to a RAID setup.

Since the hv20 camera output comes directly from the HDMI port and the Ninja encodes the video at ProRes 422, will I still need to reverse telecine my 24p footage once I transfer it onto my machine?

Other than the obscene price difference between old camera and new recorder, the new SD PIX 220 seems perfect. It offers pull-down removal recording and xlr inputs with the industry standard SD pre-amps.