Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewire Adapter to USB 3.0?

Default Firewire Adapter to USB 3.0?

My son just purchased a high end laptop but it only offers USB 3.0. (NO firewire or exrpress card slots.)

Is there a female adapter for the firewire that would allow USB 3.0 to receive HD video?

NO.

(Yes, they do sell such adapters on eBay, but they are fakes, and may fry the electronics in the camera or laptop.)

Forum Mogul

so, with FIREWIRE going extinct on new PC laptops, what are we to do?? Anyone? I don't want to dump my $1200 camera when I have to update my laptop. I consider keeping my old laptop just to firewire tapes to an external drivve, but that just seems cumbersom on so many levels.

Anyone licked this issue yet?

WWJD: I guess most people are dumping tape all together.

As a follow-up question, I have an HV 30. Is their now a cable with a 4 pin DV on one end and a USB 3.0 on the other? I realize the adapters will not work. If there is not a cable, then his brand new laptop does not have the capability of capturing 1080i taped video, correct?

That there is a cable doesn't mean it works. It only means that there are suckers out there falling for everything.

You won't be able to capture ANY video taped on MiniDV without Firewire.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Maybe this high end laptop has some expansion capability like PC Card slots or an internal expansion bay? What make and model is it?

Forum Mogul

the one I am getting is the ASUS N55SF. No Firewire.
    http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Multim...ainment/N55SF/
    I was aware of it before purchase, but hoped there were alternate methods to get stuff from tape.... luckily I still have a desktop with Firewire card in it, and two laptops with Firewire (old as they are) I will strip them down and use only as conduit to get from tape to external USB drive. Also, my job retires older laptops at an alarming rate to the point of throw away, and most of them have firewire on them - I'll just keep a supply.
    Until I eventually get fed up and move to a new DSLR Hd

Sticky this?
    "I didn't know there were voices in W R I T I N G"
    -Bob Sanders

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    NO.
    (Yes, they do sell such adapters on eBay, but they are fakes, and may fry the electronics in the camera or laptop.)
    1) Right.
    2) The only thing I know that can input HDMI and output to a computer using USB3.0 is the Intensity Shuttle device. That would be the best option to retrieve the data from the tapes on that laptop.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Another way of importing HD video is through the analogue output and using something like Hauppauge that will capture it to H264 through the USB 2.0. About the same price as the Intensity Shuttle but more versatile as the intensity shuttle only works for a few motherboards and select processors.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    analogue output
    .. is SD only.

If you were referring to the component output, that can be configured for HD.

Oh, another thing: Your editing software is expecting the (H)DV signal from a F/W port. How do you explain your software to look at the USB port?
    You might find someone who'd be able to translate the F/W protocol to USB, and write you a capturing software, but don't get your hopes too high... and don't think that you'll be able to import all frames or even realtime. There'll be a buffer needed.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Sticky this?
    Another one just in:

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?4...-Hv-40-to-a-PC
    -Bob Sanders

Will this work I saw something about using those docking stations that you put a hard drive in; it has multiple different types of ports. I think I actually saw someone with one on a shoot with one going simultaneously with the tape(tape was a backup). Didn't know I was going to have this problem or I would have asked him, but didn't know at the time. This may be a cheap fix to the problem with more utility than the intensityshuttle because of the added memory of the HD.

There are hard drives with firewire as well as USB and maybe other ports, too, but they can't capture video. You need firewire on the computer.

Unfortunately, it looks like the 1394 drive can be a peer but it takes an operating system to run the transfer. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWir...with_computers.

I'm wondering if one couldn't have an "appliance" with embedded OS, storage and appropriate ports. This would be a low cost transfer station to make up for the lack of 1394/Firewire on laptops. As an aside, apparently the Lenovo S10 netbooks had an expansion slot that could be equipped with a 1394 adapter but these are discontinued.

Welcome to the FUDCS (Firewire to USB denial counseling service). A consultant with be with you shortly, please remain in your seat. Don't panic, we've done this many times before.
    We ARE the FUDCS.

STICKY PLEASE?
    -Bob Sanders

Hi my name is Huey, please permit me to present out five-step program.

Step 1 confusion:
    You buy a new computer and can't figure out how to connect your HVx0. How can this be? It's a new machine, surely it can be done?

Step 2 seek help:
    You turn to the internet to find out 'how to do it.' You will contact the FUDCS at HV20.com. Surely they will know?

Step 3 denial
    You refuse to believe that you can't capture H/DV footage onto a computer without a firewire port or provision for adding one, despite the FUDCS's insistence.

Step 4 perseverance:
    You refuse to give up and find a Firewire to USB adaptor on Ebay, despite what the FUDCS told you. You order it and it doesn't work.

Step 5 acceptance:
    Finally you realize that it is indeed true that the HVx0 is incompatible with a computer without firewire. You change your computer or your camera.
    -Bob Sanders

Please add:

Step 4B shock:

You connected the eBay adaptor and fried your camera's FW port or your computer's USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Please add:

Step 4B shock:

You connected the eBay adaptor and fried your camera's FW port or your computer's USB port.
    That's in the six-step program, for those in need of further counseling.
    -Bob Sanders

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by schuse View Post
    My son just purchased a high end laptop but it only offers USB 3.0. (NO firewire or exrpress card slots.)

Is there a female adapter for the firewire that would allow USB 3.0 to receive HD video?
    Hmm, a high end laptop with no firewire? Let me guess, could in be from the company that invented firewire in the first place? Apple perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Krane View Post
    Hmm, a high end laptop with no firewire? Let me guess, could in be from the company that invented firewire in the first place? Apple perhaps?
    Wrong, all the MacBook Pros come with firewire 800. Oh and firewire was developed by the IEEE P1394 Working Group, which included Texas Instruments, Sony, Digital Equipment Corporation, IBM, and INMOS/SGS Thomson (now STMicroelectronics) as well as Apple.
    -Bob Sanders

...formerly known as 'drapeama' Marc-Alexandre Drapeau's Avatar

Glad you wrote that Huey, you've just stopped yet *AAAAA thread.
    (*Another And Against Apple Attack)
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

I enjoy poking fun at Apple just as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with Draps.
    Macs might have Firewire on all their MBP line, but just about any other PC or laptop with a free PCI slot or PCMIA slot can have a firewire port "attached".

Do some b-loody research before you start potential arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rutter View Post
    I enjoy poking fun at Apple just as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with Draps.
    Macs might have Firewire on all their MBP line, but just about any other PC or laptop with a free PCI slot or PCMIA slot can have a firewire port "attached".

Do some b-loody research before you start potential arguments.
    But these discussions, which are many and frequent, are started by people who have computers without firewire ports or the provision for adding one.
    -Bob Sanders