Thread: Vixia HV30 vs. Vixia HF M41

Default Vixia HV30 vs. Vixia HF M41

The Vixia HV30 is more expensive but does anyone know if one is much better than the other?

You don't get a new HV30 anymore.

Better in what regards? It always depends on the sauce.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

No, I have a Vixia HV30 now and paid around $700 for it. The M41 is going for around $300-400. Many of the features appear to be the same except HV30 records to DV.

I'm sure image quality would be comparable, but it has the newer sensor, so maybe better low light. Wouldn't trade for it unless you want/need tapeless workflow. Still has pull down removal issues for 24p, which I think is harder for avchd. Touch screen interface, good or bad you decide. If you wanted to add a second camera that would probably look similar for cheap, would probably be a good bet.

Merchandising Moderator darthpaully's Avatar

The HV30 has a manual focus dial where the M41 has only AF...
    HVFF Team Captain -Want to order an HVFF follow focus for your HV20/30/40? Go to http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ or Send me a PM or email: darthpaully@yahoo.com for more info.

Senior Member Nathyn Brendan Masters's Avatar

The M4 line will murder the HV30 in low light, end of story. Have you seen that footage? The M40, M41 and M400 use Canon's new sensor and it destroys in low light. It's almost like a DSLR. It's on my wish list. I may trade in my HG10 for this thing based on low light alone. On top of that it's got all the basic stuff we love about these cameras.

-Nate

Valued Member

I'm considering the same thing. Sell the HV30 for an M41.

Things I like:

-SD card workflow
    -New Sensor
    -Gain Control
    -Recording time

Things I don't:

-No Zebras (I like those)
    -No Native 24p (same as HV30)
    -Touchscreen control
    -LCD (same size/rez as HV30)

I've heard a few opinions so far on this thread but want to get a few more. Does it make sense to jump to the M-series? I think the biggest negative (no Zebras) is my only hesitation. Besides that it a wash or better for the M-series. Am I making too big a deal out of not having peak monitoring?

You're not, as you did not mention the lack of peaking the first place. It entirely depends on things you miss with the HV30.

Personally I would use the M41 as a backup for the night due to lack of manual focus with some focus wheel. However, I think I would pony up to get the G10 anyway. It truly is a step up in terms of control from the HV as you can control gain, shutter and aperture independently. Pair that with zebras, the lovely focus ring, peaking and low light capabilities and I'm sold. The thing is, those features matter to me, but not everybody gets a kick out of mastering a situation at the best quality possible with the specific camera.
    If you just wish to get a more easy camera which does the hard work, for example focus by means of the touchscreen and be able to set the boundaries within which the camera has to shoot (gain), it's a step up. You can take it with you in more areas due to the low light capabilities, which are without a doubt better than those of the HVs. With those you can still get good results, but you have to be careful not to end with too much gain. However, you should also consider the competitors. Are the low light capabilities very important or do you typically shoot in sunlight and wish to get the best details? In that case you could also look at the Panasonic HDC-SD800 which has, at least in the Netherlands, a similar price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by darthpaully View Post
    The HV30 has a manual focus dial where the M41 has only AF...
    M41 has MF in the menu and works very well.
    The M4xx series are great. Easy to use, good at everything, footage looks great with Cineform. Don't expect a big bump in IQ in full light, but in low light there is a difference.

Merchandising Moderator darthpaully's Avatar

For me, the better lighting isn't enough and God strike me down if I ever use manual focus on a touch screen- YUCK...

That said, The M4 series cams do seem to be appropriately priced though and the new sensor is pretty sweet.
    HVFF Team Captain -Want to order an HVFF follow focus for your HV20/30/40? Go to http://hvfffollowfocus.webs.com/ or Send me a PM or email: darthpaully@yahoo.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilloam View Post
    Things I like:

-SD card workflow
    -New Sensor
    -Gain Control
    -Recording time

Things I don't:

-No Zebras (I like those)
    -No Native 24p (same as HV30)
    -Touchscreen control
    -LCD (same size/rez as HV30)

I think the biggest negative (no Zebras) is my only hesitation. Am I making too big a deal out of not having peak monitoring?
    Quote Originally Posted by BarteS View Post
    You're not, as you did not mention the lack of peaking the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarteS View Post
    Personally I would use the M41 as a backup for the night due to lack of manual focus with some focus wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    M41 has MF in the menu and works very well.
    Buy A ZR-2000 LANC, manual focus and everything you need on the controller. Other than that, the HF-S series (S200, S11, S21) has all the things you like, AND Zebras, Native 24p, Peaking, Manual Focus Wheel On Side Of Camera Operates With A Friction Follow Focus, A Bigger LCD, And as mentioned just Buy A Canon ZR-2000 LANC to bypass most features on the touchscreen. I own one and it's fantastic in low light!

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by HD-tography View Post
    Buy A ZR-2000 LANC, manual focus and everything you need on the controller. Other than that, the HF-S series (S200, S11, S21) has all the things you like, AND Zebras, Native 24p, Peaking, Manual Focus Wheel On Side Of Camera Operates With A Friction Follow Focus, A Bigger LCD, And as mentioned just Buy A Canon ZR-2000 LANC to bypass most features on the touchscreen. I own one and it's fantastic in low light!
    So will a ZR-2000 LANC work with a M41?

Tricky device...it's just a bit too expensive be a brainless purchase. I did spot some, potential compatible ones for far less, not sure on those really. The hit on B&H has a 300 dollar price tag...ouch.
    You could also invest it in the camera, which would offer control, assuming you're using it in run-and-gun shooting style. If you frequently mount it or have multiple devices/consider upgrading I think it could be a good investment indeed.

Concerning the HF-S, value is in the potential price. In terms of low light the HF-G10 is better (compared to the cheaper S21). I really, really, really love the low light capabilities of the sensor in the 2011 line-up. The things I do and want make the higher price, for whichever M or G, worth it. But it could change if you could get a good deal on an HF-S. Invest the rest in some proper lights (if you could use them, in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by rsiler View Post
    So will a ZR-2000 LANC work with a M41?
    NO LANC control jack on the Canon M41

Touch screen sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Touch screen sucks!
    Yeah I could live more peacefully without it, but I manage.

I have a 2400 dollar doorstop on my desk with a f'ed up touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    I have a 2400 dollar doorstop on my desk with a f'ed up touch screen.
    I think that would be considered a paperweight, in that it's not actually providing the service of propping open a door.

Seriously, I'm really sorry to hear of your camera's demise. I'm not certain I would buy another touch screen myself, as my needs are beginning to outweigh Canon's consumer line of cameras.

Paperweight! Thanks, that was the word I was looking for.

Repair'd be some 400 bucks. It still shoots, but I can't change any setting anymore, so I'm using as a wide cam for seminars. Miss the XLR though...

Default Hf m40

I just got this camera for the low light shooting...... Impressive so far with great results.
    Nice improvement over the HV20s I have been using.

I find the dynamic range of the m400 range, when you put it into Cinema mode flat, is a substantial improvement over past series. Also the colors appear to be better than its predecessor, the m300. The ASA rating of 200 (with no gain) is a little lower than I would like but besides that, I find the whole series to be great cameras.