Page 14 of 190 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 4741

Thread: Tech companies

  1. #326
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    I guess I was asking too much when I suggested that you think about this for a few seconds at least.
    You ask what kind of problems different pay in a company would cause and I have merely given examples that it would not cause problems at all. In fact it would be more beneficial in the long run.

    Don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer.

  2. #327
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    ONCE AGAIN... my coworkers and I have the EXACT same positions and titles and preform the EXACT same duties.... but not one of us gets the same wage. The pay scale not only varies with the different potions held within the company but it also varies with seniority in a given position.

    I don't think you quite understand. The pay scale system offers goals and incentive. You get yourself in at the ground level, work hard, keep your nose clean... and soon your off to a higher level in that company with better pay. At present foxconn is a dead end which offers no movement upward .... nothing to look forward to (hence the high turnover).
    Is there no limit to your ignorance. You really don't get it, do you. YOU CAN'T COMPARE your cosy little life in Canada to factory worker's conditions in China. But I guess that's all you know and lack the capacity to understand that things are different outside of your own little box.


    You get yourself in at the ground level, work hard, keep your nose clean... and soon your off to a higher level in that company with better pay.
    Hilarious !
    Update please, BooF?

  3. #328
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Is there no limit to your ignorance. You really don't get it, do you. YOU CAN'T COMPARE your cosy little life in Canada to factory worker's conditions in China. But I guess that's all you know and lack the capacity to understand that things are different outside of your own little box.
    Not comparing at all.

    You ask what kind of problems different pay in a company would cause and I have merely given examples that it would not cause problems at all and it exists in just about all companies. In fact it would be more beneficial in the long run.

    Don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer.

  4. #329
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    You ask what kind of problems different pay in a company would cause and I have merely given examples that it would not cause problems at all. In fact it would be more beneficial in the long run.

    Don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer.
    Nonsense!

    So which of the three thousand people waiting outside the gates, every Monday, get to work on the Apple lines for twice the pay as everyone else?
    Update please, BooF?

  5. #330
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Nonsense!

    So which of the three thousand people waiting outside the gates, every Monday, get to work on the Apple lines for twice the pay as everyone else?
    Why would the people standing at the gate go on the Apple line??? The Apple line would be a higher paying position which would go to the winning applicants already within the company. The people standing at the gate would fill the lower potions which just became vacant when the inside workers shifted up to the apple line.

    This is pretty elementary stuff!

  6. #331
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    a higher paying position which would go to the winning applicants already within the company.
    Three problems here:

    1. What would be the criteria for these winning applicants?

    2. Would there be enough positions on the Apple lines to promote all of these star burr scrapers up?

    3. Wouldn't Apple then be indirectly subsidizing its competitors by providing incentives on the Dell, HP lines?

    That's just ridiculous.
    Update please, BooF?

  7. #332
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    1. What would be the criteria for these winning applicants?
    Same as any other company handles it.

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    2. Would there be enough positions on the Apple lines to promote all of these star burr scrapers up?
    Same as any other company The ladder always gets smaller as you go up. How many sales clerks are there in a store compared to the number of mangers?

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    3. Wouldn't Apple then be indirectly subsidizing its competitors by providing incentives on the Dell, HP lines?
    Not really. The incentive would be to GO THROUGH the competitor lines for the opportunity to work on the apple lines. Not only that but Apple would make its competitors look pretty cheap by doubling the wage for its lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    That's just ridiculous.
    Foxconn executive Louis Woo said that he would actually like it if Apple demanded that the company double the pay of factory employees. Your move, Apple.
    Well... Mr. Woo doesn't agree with you.... and he's a foxconn exec.

  8. #333
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Same as any other company handles it.
    There you again with your shallow view of the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Same as any other company The ladder always gets smaller as you go up. How many sales clerks are there in a store compared to the number of mangers?
    So now you're proposing a laddered system with Apple being at the top? Does this mean that Foxconn would have to adopt a policy, with its other customers, the more you pay the better the quality you get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Not really. The incentive would be to GO THROUGH the competitor lines for the opportunity to work on the apple lines. Not only that but Apple would make its competitors look pretty cheap by doubling the wage for its lines.
    Right an incentive for Foxconn employees working on Apple's competitors products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Well... Mr. Woo doesn't agree with you.... and he's a foxconn exec.
    What do you expect him to say when asked if he would like to see Apple pay more, for the good of the workers? No, they can all rot in hell?
    Update please, BooF?

  9. #334
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Not really. The incentive would be to GO THROUGH the competitor lines for the opportunity to work on the apple lines. Not only that but Apple would make its competitors look pretty cheap by doubling the wage for its lines.
    I should also point out that Apple would end up with the more seasoned, better employees in their lines

  10. #335
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    I should also point out that Apple would end up with the more seasoned, better employees in their lines
    Give me an F'n break! These are factory workers. They scrape burrs off castings and screw things together, again and again and again.

    Grow up, Bob.
    SEASONED?
    Update please, BooF?

  11. #336
    Tropical Legend cgbier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saipan, USA
    Posts
    13,840

    Default

    SEASONED?
    Salt and Pepper?
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

  12. #337
    Legend Janke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Salt and Pepper?
    The most sensible comment seen here in a while.



  13. #338
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    There you again with your shallow view of the world.
    [SIGH]
    You really don't understand how any of this works do you. How many times has this employee been late? how many times sick? How many times made mistakes? Are they well adjusted? Are they team players.... etc. How well do they understand the task.... etc

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    So now you're proposing a laddered system with Apple being at the top? Does this mean that Foxconn would have to adopt a policy, with its other customers, the more you pay the better the quality you get?
    Not necessarily "better quality". There are quality standards which any customer will demand. But the more seasoned employees come at a higher price. That's the way the world works.

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Right an incentive for Foxconn employees working on Apple's competitors products.
    No. Those perspective employees are waiting at the gates for work... ANY work.

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    What do you expect him to say when asked if he would like to see Apple pay more, for the good of the workers? No, they can all rot in hell?
    I would expect him to say what he feels is true. Not because I believe he's Snow white and never lies, but merely because it would be more beneficial to him. Hiring and training people costs money and with a higher wage people would be more apt to stick around for longer.... which would drop his overhead and increase his profits.

  14. #339
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Give me an F'n break! These are factory workers. They scrape burrs off castings and screw things together, again and again and again.
    And the longer they've done it, the faster they are at it.... and that's what factory lines are about..... speed.

  15. #340
    Legend
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    and that's what factory lines are about..... speed.
    And trust and reliability. 'You gonna steal things? You gonna show up for work?'

  16. #341
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    [SIGH]
    You really don't understand how any of this works do you. How many times has this employee been late? how many times sick? How many times made mistakes? Are they well adjusted? Are they team players.... etc. How well do they understand the task.... etc

    Not necessarily "better quality". There are quality standards which any customer will demand. But the more seasoned employees come at a higher price. That's the way the world works.

    No. Those perspective employees are waiting at the gates for work... ANY work.



    I would expect him to say what he feels is true. Not because I believe he's Snow white and never lies, but merely because it would be more beneficial to him. Hiring and training people costs money and with a higher wage people would be more apt to stick around for longer.... which would drop his overhead and increase his profits.
    Absolute nonsense!

    You can't install a western style incentive-based pay scale to a Chinese factory workforce. The employees are transitory and there's a huge turnover.

    Also, you haven't explained why Apple should subsidize its competitors by paying more for the same services form the same supplier?
    Update please, BooF?

  17. #342
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    SEASONED?
    Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Salt and Pepper?

    4. To render competent through trial and experience: a lawyer who had been seasoned by years in the trial courts.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/seasoned

    Did you learn something new today?

  18. #343
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    You can't install a western style incentive-based pay scale to a Chinese factory workforce.
    That's right... the Chinese are too dumb for that, right.


    Also, you haven't explained why Apple should subsidize its competitors by paying more for the same services form the same supplier?
    And you haven't explained why this has anything at all to do with apple's competitors in the first place. What's the connection?

  19. #344
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    And you haven't explained why this has anything at all to do with apple's competitors in the first place.
    Are you serious? This is all about competition. Oh and Foxconn has to compete too.
    Are you really that naive ?
    Update please, BooF?

  20. #345
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Are you serious? This is all about competition. Oh and Foxconn has to compete too.
    Are you really that naive ?
    Yes I'm serious.
    You said it yourself. Apple doesn't own foxconn... it's just a customer. foxconn hammers out a contract with Apple to build ipads, and that contract has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's other customers (be they competitors or not) and Apple has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's inner workings.

    Foxconn's competition?
    It's no big deal to foxconn. If Apple demands a wage doubling foxconn isn't going to pay for it... they'll just hand the increase over to Apple.

  21. #346
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Yes I'm serious.
    You said it yourself. Apple doesn't own foxconn... it's just a customer. foxconn hammers out a contract with Apple to build ipads, and that contract has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's other customers (be they competitors or not) and Apple has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's inner workings.

    Foxconn's competition?
    It's no big deal to foxconn. If Apple demands a wage doubling foxconn isn't going to pay for it... they'll just hand the increase over to Apple.
    Of course the other Foxconn customers are Apple's competitors. They're all using Foxconn for the same reason and it's driven by competition to keep costs down. Why else?
    Update please, BooF?

  22. #347
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Of course the other Foxconn customers are Apple's competitors.
    Not to foxconn.
    Foxconn has nothing to do with Apple's business which means it has nothing to do with Apple's "competitors". Who Apple competes with has nothing to do with foxconn or the contract between Apple and foxconn.

    They may be Apple's "competitors" to Apple... but they're simply 'other' costumers to foxconn with their own contracts independent from Apple

  23. #348
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Not to foxconn.
    Foxconn has nothing to do with Apple's business which means it has nothing to do with Apple's "competitors". Who Apple competes with has nothing to do with foxconn or the contract between Apple and foxconn.

    They may be Apple's "competitors" to Apple... but they're simply 'other' costumers to foxconn with their own contracts independent from Apple
    OY VEY!

    Let me put it another way; why should Dell, HP, Microsoft et al be exempt for supplementing the salaries of the workers? If they're not competing, they could double the pay for the workers who work on their lines too, right?
    Update please, BooF?

  24. #349
    Perpetually angry! Bob Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    8,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Let me put it another way; why should Dell, HP, Microsoft et al be exempt for supplementing the salaries of the workers?
    Who said anything about being exempt.... or being mandatory for that matter????

    What Apple does it does on its own accord. If Apple feels it needs to put on a show for the American public.... or it simply feels the need to contribute on a humanity basis.... that's all Apple's deal and does not involve anyone else. I support an Asian child through World Vision at $35 a month. I do this for my own reasons.... but just because I do it doesn't mean you have to, or even that I would expect it.

    ONCE AGAIN... foxconn has nothing to do with the competition that its customers may or may not be involved in with each other.

  25. #350
    Legend HueyNRolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    14,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    Who said anything about being exempt.... or being mandatory for that matter????
    So you don't have a point, do you.
    Update please, BooF?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •