Page 14 of 190 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech companies

Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    I guess I was asking too much when I suggested that you think about this for a few seconds at least.
    You ask what kind of problems different pay in a company would cause and I have merely given examples that it would not cause problems at all. In fact it would be more beneficial in the long run.

Don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    ONCE AGAIN... my coworkers and I have the EXACT same positions and titles and preform the EXACT same duties.... but not one of us gets the same wage. The pay scale not only varies with the different potions held within the company but it also varies with seniority in a given position.

I don't think you quite understand. The pay scale system offers goals and incentive. You get yourself in at the ground level, work hard, keep your nose clean... and soon your off to a higher level in that company with better pay. At present foxconn is a dead end which offers no movement upward .... nothing to look forward to (hence the high turnover).
    Is there no limit to your ignorance. You really don't get it, do you. YOU CAN'T COMPARE your cosy little life in Canada to factory worker's conditions in China. But I guess that's all you know and lack the capacity to understand that things are different outside of your own little box.

You get yourself in at the ground level, work hard, keep your nose clean... and soon your off to a higher level in that company with better pay.
    Hilarious !
    Update please, BooF?

Is there no limit to your ignorance. You really don't get it, do you. YOU CAN'T COMPARE your cosy little life in Canada to factory worker's conditions in China. But I guess that's all you know and lack the capacity to understand that things are different outside of your own little box.
    Not comparing at all.

You ask what kind of problems different pay in a company would cause and I have merely given examples that it would not cause problems at all and it exists in just about all companies. In fact it would be more beneficial in the long run.

You ask what kind of problems different pay in a company would cause and I have merely given examples that it would not cause problems at all. In fact it would be more beneficial in the long run.

Nonsense!

So which of the three thousand people waiting outside the gates, every Monday, get to work on the Apple lines for twice the pay as everyone else?
    Update please, BooF?

Nonsense!

So which of the three thousand people waiting outside the gates, every Monday, get to work on the Apple lines for twice the pay as everyone else?
    Why would the people standing at the gate go on the Apple line??? The Apple line would be a higher paying position which would go to the winning applicants already within the company. The people standing at the gate would fill the lower potions which just became vacant when the inside workers shifted up to the apple line.

This is pretty elementary stuff!

a higher paying position which would go to the winning applicants already within the company.
    Three problems here:

1. What would be the criteria for these winning applicants?

2. Would there be enough positions on the Apple lines to promote all of these star burr scrapers up?

3. Wouldn't Apple then be indirectly subsidizing its competitors by providing incentives on the Dell, HP lines?

That's just ridiculous.
    Update please, BooF?

1. What would be the criteria for these winning applicants?
    Same as any other company handles it.

2. Would there be enough positions on the Apple lines to promote all of these star burr scrapers up?
    Same as any other company The ladder always gets smaller as you go up. How many sales clerks are there in a store compared to the number of mangers?

3. Wouldn't Apple then be indirectly subsidizing its competitors by providing incentives on the Dell, HP lines?
    Not really. The incentive would be to GO THROUGH the competitor lines for the opportunity to work on the apple lines. Not only that but Apple would make its competitors look pretty cheap by doubling the wage for its lines.

That's just ridiculous.
    Foxconn executive Louis Woo said that he would actually like it if Apple demanded that the company double the pay of factory employees. Your move, Apple.
    Well... Mr. Woo doesn't agree with you.... and he's a foxconn exec.

Same as any other company handles it.
    There you again with your shallow view of the world.

Same as any other company The ladder always gets smaller as you go up. How many sales clerks are there in a store compared to the number of mangers?
    So now you're proposing a laddered system with Apple being at the top? Does this mean that Foxconn would have to adopt a policy, with its other customers, the more you pay the better the quality you get?

Not really. The incentive would be to GO THROUGH the competitor lines for the opportunity to work on the apple lines. Not only that but Apple would make its competitors look pretty cheap by doubling the wage for its lines.
    Right an incentive for Foxconn employees working on Apple's competitors products.

Well... Mr. Woo doesn't agree with you.... and he's a foxconn exec.
    What do you expect him to say when asked if he would like to see Apple pay more, for the good of the workers? No, they can all rot in hell?
    Update please, BooF?

I should also point out that Apple would end up with the more seasoned, better employees in their lines

I should also point out that Apple would end up with the more seasoned, better employees in their lines
    Give me an F'n break! These are factory workers. They scrape burrs off castings and screw things together, again and again and again.

Grow up, Bob.
    SEASONED?
    Update please, BooF?

SEASONED?
    Salt and Pepper?
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Salt and Pepper?
    The most sensible comment seen here in a while.

There you again with your shallow view of the world.
    [SIGH]
    You really don't understand how any of this works do you. How many times has this employee been late? how many times sick? How many times made mistakes? Are they well adjusted? Are they team players.... etc. How well do they understand the task.... etc

So now you're proposing a laddered system with Apple being at the top? Does this mean that Foxconn would have to adopt a policy, with its other customers, the more you pay the better the quality you get?
    Not necessarily "better quality". There are quality standards which any customer will demand. But the more seasoned employees come at a higher price. That's the way the world works.

Right an incentive for Foxconn employees working on Apple's competitors products.
    No. Those perspective employees are waiting at the gates for work... ANY work.

What do you expect him to say when asked if he would like to see Apple pay more, for the good of the workers? No, they can all rot in hell?
    I would expect him to say what he feels is true. Not because I believe he's Snow white and never lies, but merely because it would be more beneficial to him. Hiring and training people costs money and with a higher wage people would be more apt to stick around for longer.... which would drop his overhead and increase his profits.

Give me an F'n break! These are factory workers. They scrape burrs off castings and screw things together, again and again and again.
    And the longer they've done it, the faster they are at it.... and that's what factory lines are about..... speed.

Legend

and that's what factory lines are about..... speed.
    And trust and reliability. 'You gonna steal things? You gonna show up for work?'

[SIGH]
    You really don't understand how any of this works do you. How many times has this employee been late? how many times sick? How many times made mistakes? Are they well adjusted? Are they team players.... etc. How well do they understand the task.... etc

Not necessarily "better quality". There are quality standards which any customer will demand. But the more seasoned employees come at a higher price. That's the way the world works.

No. Those perspective employees are waiting at the gates for work... ANY work.

I would expect him to say what he feels is true. Not because I believe he's Snow white and never lies, but merely because it would be more beneficial to him. Hiring and training people costs money and with a higher wage people would be more apt to stick around for longer.... which would drop his overhead and increase his profits.
    Absolute nonsense!

You can't install a western style incentive-based pay scale to a Chinese factory workforce. The employees are transitory and there's a huge turnover.

Also, you haven't explained why Apple should subsidize its competitors by paying more for the same services form the same supplier?
    Update please, BooF?

SEASONED?
    Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Salt and Pepper?

4. To render competent through trial and experience: a lawyer who had been seasoned by years in the trial courts.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/seasoned

Did you learn something new today?

You can't install a western style incentive-based pay scale to a Chinese factory workforce.
    That's right... the Chinese are too dumb for that, right.

Also, you haven't explained why Apple should subsidize its competitors by paying more for the same services form the same supplier?
    And you haven't explained why this has anything at all to do with apple's competitors in the first place. What's the connection?

And you haven't explained why this has anything at all to do with apple's competitors in the first place.
    Are you serious? This is all about competition. Oh and Foxconn has to compete too.
    Are you really that naive ?
    Update please, BooF?

Are you serious? This is all about competition. Oh and Foxconn has to compete too.
    Are you really that naive ?
    Yes I'm serious.
    You said it yourself. Apple doesn't own foxconn... it's just a customer. foxconn hammers out a contract with Apple to build ipads, and that contract has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's other customers (be they competitors or not) and Apple has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's inner workings.

Foxconn's competition?
    It's no big deal to foxconn. If Apple demands a wage doubling foxconn isn't going to pay for it... they'll just hand the increase over to Apple.

Yes I'm serious.
    You said it yourself. Apple doesn't own foxconn... it's just a customer. foxconn hammers out a contract with Apple to build ipads, and that contract has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's other customers (be they competitors or not) and Apple has absolutely NOTHING to do with foxconn's inner workings.

Foxconn's competition?
    It's no big deal to foxconn. If Apple demands a wage doubling foxconn isn't going to pay for it... they'll just hand the increase over to Apple.
    Of course the other Foxconn customers are Apple's competitors. They're all using Foxconn for the same reason and it's driven by competition to keep costs down. Why else?
    Update please, BooF?

Of course the other Foxconn customers are Apple's competitors.
    Not to foxconn.
    Foxconn has nothing to do with Apple's business which means it has nothing to do with Apple's "competitors". Who Apple competes with has nothing to do with foxconn or the contract between Apple and foxconn.

They may be Apple's "competitors" to Apple... but they're simply 'other' costumers to foxconn with their own contracts independent from Apple

Not to foxconn.
    Foxconn has nothing to do with Apple's business which means it has nothing to do with Apple's "competitors". Who Apple competes with has nothing to do with foxconn or the contract between Apple and foxconn.

They may be Apple's "competitors" to Apple... but they're simply 'other' costumers to foxconn with their own contracts independent from Apple
    OY VEY!

Let me put it another way; why should Dell, HP, Microsoft et al be exempt for supplementing the salaries of the workers? If they're not competing, they could double the pay for the workers who work on their lines too, right?
    Update please, BooF?

Let me put it another way; why should Dell, HP, Microsoft et al be exempt for supplementing the salaries of the workers?
    Who said anything about being exempt.... or being mandatory for that matter????

What Apple does it does on its own accord. If Apple feels it needs to put on a show for the American public.... or it simply feels the need to contribute on a humanity basis.... that's all Apple's deal and does not involve anyone else. I support an Asian child through World Vision at $35 a month. I do this for my own reasons.... but just because I do it doesn't mean you have to, or even that I would expect it.

ONCE AGAIN... foxconn has nothing to do with the competition that its customers may or may not be involved in with each other.

Who said anything about being exempt.... or being mandatory for that matter????
    So you don't have a point, do you.
    Update please, BooF?