Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lion is dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
    They INTENTIONALLY muddy the water or at least try to when it comes to sensitive issues which may make them appear vulnerable.
    No you muddy your pants with such nonsense.
    "I didn't know there were voices in W R I T I N G"
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

They like to use the word "MALWARE" for example. It's so much cleaner and nicer than "VIRUS". Of course what most don't understand is that a VIRUS is in fact a type of MALWARE.
    Oh not again. Did you manage to find that virus for OS X, Bob?
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
    Oh, it is your favorite (non-)issue again...
    .... blind and dumb

Quote Originally Posted by HueyNRolf View Post
    Oh not again. Did you manage to find that virus for OS X, Bob?
    YUP.
    Even showed you. Unfortunately you believe plugging ears makes it go away.

No you muddy your pants with such nonsense.
    QED

YUP.
    Even showed you. Unfortunately you believe plugging ears makes it go away.
    Bullshit!
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

Bullshit!
    Go back to the other thread and read it again.

Go back to the other thread and read it again.
    There's no need, I know for sure that you failed to provide and example of a virus for OS X. And your excuse for not linking it up here is?
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

Huey, as Bob likes conspiracy - how about this one: Gatekeeper is the first step to lock down OS X like iOS. No more GPL software, as it is not compatible with the App Store. Apple will squeeze the last cent out of us for their apps.

That's a conspiracy!
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Of course what most don't understand is that a VIRUS is in fact a type of MALWARE.
    Most people do understand that. But you don't understand that all MALWARES are not VIRUSES.

I've given you an example before: "All cars are not Toyotas, but all Toyotas are cars" - do you agree there is a difference, there? (And don't come with a remark that Toyota makes other stuff than cars - you know what I mean... )

A virus spreads by itself. A Trojan, for instance, does not. There are Trojans written for OSX, but no viruses.

But, we're comparatively safe, anyway - but should of course not be complacent: "according to the security firm McAfee, there were more than four million new Windows malware strains in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to fewer than 50 that targeted Apple computers. "

<50 for OSX, versus >4,000,000 for Windows...

FilmMaker Extraordinaire Daniel Rutter's Avatar

Huey, as Bob likes conspiracy - how about this one: Gatekeeper is the first step to lock down OS X like iOS. No more GPL software, as it is not compatible with the App Store. Apple will squeeze the last cent out of us for their apps.
    Is this just a crack at Bob, or is it the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rutter View Post
    Is this just a crack at Bob, or is it the truth?
    EyeTVSnapshot[9].jpg

Janke, Daniel's question is not too far off.

Daniel, that is a conspiracy I came up with. We can spin that thing even even further: The other day, there was a notice that Apple, to keep up their revenue and stock prices, has to expand their product lines. How? There's only one new product on the horizon, the Apple TV. That might not be enough. A logical step would be to get a stranglehold on ALL OS X software. From the profits they make, they first buy Google, then Microsoft. They'll have enough free car floating around from the reinvention of TV and the App Store monopoly to do so. From the profits out of this business, they buy the US debts from China to own America.

But seriously: Yes, I fear that someone at Apple would come to the idea to close the software system like they do with iOS. On one hand, I'd applaud to this idea, OTOH, I rely on too much Open Source stuff that is not allowed under the App Store rules.
    What you call a grumpy German? - Sour Kraut

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Most people do understand that. But you don't understand that all MALWARES are not VIRUSES.
    I never said all malware was virus. Please show me where I said that.

But seriously: Yes, I fear that someone at Apple would come to the idea to close the software system like they do with iOS. On one hand, I'd applaud to this idea, OTOH, I rely on too much Open Source stuff that is not allowed under the App Store rules.
    Control is something Apple likes, but to close down the software system at this point would hurt Apple more than anything else. If they attempted it however I wouldn't suggest it be done for money. The one thing Apple has got going with Mac is that they have fooled the majority of the population into believing it to be a safe, virus free zone (which is why they play such careful games every time the subject comes up). Closing the software system down would ensure that they could go on fooling the public for a much longer time.

I never said all malware was virus.
    So, what's your point then? You've repeatedly indicated that there are viruses for OSX (just in the above post, for instance), while there are none. Malware, yes - less than 50 of them appearing in 4Q2011...

From the profits out of this business, they buy the US debts from China to own America.
    LOL!

Yes, I fear that someone at Apple would come to the idea to close the software system like they do with iOS.
    I don't think they will. iOS is used by many people totally clueless about malware, while you'd suppose a computer user would have at least some knowledge...

If they close OSX (or any subsequent version), they'd lose their user base, thus their Mac sales.

Steve Ballmer IS Hermann Göring reincarnated. Göring has returned to destabilize world governments and control the human race with mind control tools which are built into Microsoft software.

- (Believer) Bob Sanders

Conficker, also known as Downup, Downadup and Kido, is a computer worm targeting the Microsoft Windows operating system that was first detected in November 2008.[1] It uses flaws in Windows software and dictionary attacks on administrator passwords to propagate while forming a botnet, and has been unusually difficult to counter because of its combined use of many advanced malware techniques.[2][3] At its peak, the Conficker had infected an estimated seven million government, business and home computers in over 200 countries, making it the largest known computer worm infection since the 2003 Welchia.

LOVELY!

Good job, Ballmer.

Destabilizing world governments:

Intramar, the French Navy computer network, was infected with Conficker on 15 January 2009. The network was subsequently quarantined, forcing aircraft at several airbases to be grounded because their flight plans could not be downloaded.[18]
    The United Kingdom Ministry of Defence reported that some of its major systems and desktops were infected. The virus has spread across administrative offices, NavyStar/N* desktops aboard various Royal Navy warships and Royal Navy submarines, and hospitals across the city of Sheffield reported infection of over 800 computers.[19][20]
    On 2 February 2009, the Bundeswehr, the unified armed forces of Germany reported that about one hundred of their computers were infected.[21]
    An infection of Manchester City Council's IT system caused an estimated £1.5m worth of disruption in February 2009. USB flash drives have since been banned, as this was believed to be the vector for the initial infection.[22]
    A memo from the British Director of Parliamentary IT informed the users of the House of Commons on 24 March 2009 that it had been infected with the virus. The memo, which was subsequently leaked, called for users to avoid connecting any unauthorized equipment to the network.[23]
    In January 2010, the Greater Manchester Police computer network was infected, leading to its disconnection for three days from the Police National Computer as a precautionary measure; during that time, officers had to ask other forces to run routine checks on vehicles and people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker#Impact_in_Europe
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    So, what's your point then? You've repeatedly indicated that there are viruses
    Let me rephrase... I never said Malware was JUST viruses. Malware covers just about the entire gambit..... INCLUDING viruses. Apple chooses the term "malware"
    a) because it's not specific
    b) When people think of the term "malware" they think something simple like a web page highjack.

Apple is EXTREMELY GOOD at marketing.... and 90% of marketing is all about choosing the right words.

Apple is EXTREMELY GOOD at marketing.... and 90% of marketing is all about choosing the right words.
    Wrong.
    You don't understand marketing, if you think that.

Marketing has four primary functions, the four Ps, promotion is just one of them.
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

Conficker, also known as Downup, Downadup and Kido, is a computer worm targeting the Microsoft Windows operating system that was first detected in November 2008.[1] It uses flaws in Windows software and dictionary attacks on administrator passwords to propagate while forming a botnet,
    I don't think ANYONE is arguing that Microsoft doesn't have malware issues. There is no debate there. I run a third party firewall/virus protection system because of it. But it's kind of neat to see Apple is having to push the same .

I don't think ANYONE is arguing that Microsoft doesn't have malware issues.
    Windows has VISUS issues, Get over your believers's denial . OSX does not, get over your believer's denial.
    - (Believer) Bob Sanders

Wrong.
    You don't understand marketing, if you think that.
    So if I (an Apple rep) said that Apple computers were slow, inefficient, and ineffective... would you say.... "GREAT... let's go buy one" based on my words?

If you think words are low on the totem pole when in marketing... then it is YOU who does not understand, not me.

Apple chooses the term "malware"
    ... because that is the correct term. There are no known viruses for the OSX.

Windows has VISUS issues, Get over your believers's denial . OSX does not, get over your believer's denial.
    That was an APPLE spin on words.... Malware INCLUDES viruses. Don't be so dumb!