Thread: Sony Vegas > WMV Rendering Time

Default Sony Vegas > WMV Rendering Time

Hey everyone. Love the community here. I picked up my HV20 last week after reading and lurking here for about a month, I have learned a lot but still consider myself a n00b.

I run a PC with E6600 2.4ghz Core2Duo and 4GB ram (only 3.25GB avail in 32 bit XP) - Windows XP. Sata drives.

I capture my video from the camera with Vegas 8 or HDVsplit. Then import the m2t files into Vegas. Much of the editing I have done so far is very basic. Mostly taking clips and rendering them out as WMV format at various HD settings (720p, 1080) to play back on the Xbox360.

Here is my question: based on my machine type mentioned above, and how I describe what I have been doing, should a 30 sec. clip take nearly 12-14 mins to encode / render ?

If it does that's fine. But I fear I may be doing something wrong. I have searched the forums for a day looking for some sort of benchmark to measure against but nothing turned up that helped me.

Thanks for your input and help.

Sounds about right to me. I´m not sure there are any benchmarks because render times depend heavily on the footage. The more movement you have in your shot the longer it will take to render.

Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure before I start doing much more this weekend that I am not doing anything wrong on my end.

I guess its best to encode / render then go grab a brew or hit the rack ...

Cheers !

The WMV encoder on Vegas is REALLY slow. If you have Vegas Pro, only use Sony AVC for h.264, not WMV. It will render in half the time. If you only run Platinum, then you are stuck with WMV I am afraid. Unless if you export with a lossless codec like Huffyuv and then load it to the SUPER utility to export as h.264. I can help you out if you want, and if you don't have Vegas 8 Pro.

it is pretty dependent on your processor speed also

Yes, but no. The WMV encoder is just slower than the other encoders, no matter what CPU you got.

I have a similar setup, however, I run my E6600 at 3.0. This processer is very stable if you overclock it. I also set up my video program and rendering onto 2 drives working in raid 0. By doing this I have cut rendering time. A lot of my videos I edit in Ulead 11plus. It seems that .wmv files render fairly fast in this editing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
    The WMV encoder on Vegas is REALLY slow. If you have Vegas Pro, only use Sony AVC for h.264, not WMV. It will render in half the time. If you only run Platinum, then you are stuck with WMV I am afraid. Unless if you export with a lossless codec like Huffyuv and then load it to the SUPER utility to export as h.264. I can help you out if you want, and if you don't have Vegas 8 Pro.
    Eugenia, what setting do you use when rendering Sony AVC? If you select .m2t as the final file can you rename it to .mpg without any problems?

Sony AVC is h.264, not mpeg2/m2t. I usually export at 720p for vimeo like this: http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/1...-for-vimeo-hd/

For m2t you just use the default template, you don't mess with it. It works fine with my players.