Thread: Velbon CX 686 Tripod

Valued Member

Default Velbon CX 686 Tripod

Hello community!

After giving it a long thought based upon information i caught in here i ordered the Velbon tripod via amazon just yesterday.
    From my impression actually its the DV 7000 which is getting the bigger feedback in here but i figured i am gonna walk around quite a bit with this thing so thats why i chose the cheaper solution.

I would really aprittiate it if u guys could comment on the CX 686 and maybe drop me some tips for optimal panning (i read something about a "rubber" but dont know what the point is) and more steadiness (to balance out the light weight this thing has)

Thanks in advance

i don't have the 686, i have the Velbon 586, and the pan head is very fluid and good quality, but you have to be careful with because some parts of the tripod are plastic, and for me, I find that sometimes the tripod is actually too light! Because sometimes when the screw for the panning is tight and and I'm doing a slow pan, the tripod can actually lift off the ground, but as long as you keep pressure down on the tripod its fine and it won't lift overall I'm happy with my Velbon. Oh and the "rubber" tip, is probably the rubber band trick which you put around the handle and it helps the pan to be more constant and smooth...
    Montreal, Quebec

Valued Member

Thanks for your reply....

Good that u pointed the weight issue out since that was the only one i could think about.
    Well i guess i am gonna have to improvise adding some weight to the tripod or looking for a stance were i can pan smoothly and hold the thing down at the same time

Cheers

for me i sort keep my foot on a bit or hold it down with my other hand and it works great
    Montreal, Quebec

Valued Member

hehe that sounds logical
    i am feeling kinda "why make it easy if u can take the hard way" after thinking about it.

How about hanging a 2 liter juice bottle from the center...and if i survive the social hummiliation after shooting on the streets i'll tell u guys about it

Anyways i need my HV20 and the Velbon to arrive first!! both are still on the way.

Cheers

Haha I'll be looking foward to it :P
    Montreal, Quebec

I have this tripod and very happy with it. Not that it is without compromise, but it's an excellent compromise between price, weight and the smoothness of the panhead is very good. As suggested above, it is a little flimsy when fully extended, and needs to be weighed down for good results. Here's some shots I did with it yesterday;

http://www.harlands.com/video/widetest.html 83 Mb 720p
    Last edited by herrflick; 2008 February 28th at 17:54. Reason: no warning of file size

Valued Member

Hey there herrflick
    Thanks for your input, sadly i couldn't check out your clip. I am having some issues loading it or the file is broken.
    Do u have an account on vimeo? it looks like that is the best place to upload HD content.

But anyways it seems like the velbon will be a fine tripod...thanks again

Direct link to mp4 file; http://www.harlands.com/video/darlinghbrwide.mp4

Flash 9 is required for the previous link.