I have used Canon EE-A and EE-S and was unhappy with both of them for a number of reasons (ghosting, vignette, low sharpness near the edges, dirt prone), so I've ground myself a screen which I am happy with. Spent some time, gained some experience and can grind one for you.
size: 38 x 25 mm (same as Canon EE)
thickness: 1 mm (about 50% thinner than Canon EE)
grain: a selection of four grades is available: 5, 9, 15, 25 micron (1000, 1200 grit are discontinued due to low diffusion rate)
- Washable! Unlike canon (which is screwed if you touch it), you can clean this screen with warm water and soap. I was very frustrated to see my $40 getting wasted just because I touched this sucker.
- will fit any holder designed for Canon EE, like these excellent holders manufactured by Daniel (thanks mate, you're the man)
- no ghosting, sharper edges.
- grain is still visible on finest, so I would recommend these screens for vibrating use.
- please remember: this is just a ground glass, not a condenser lens like Canon EE. To compete with EE in terms of the light loss, you might need an extra lens in your adapter.
New product: D1Pro
The polished side of D1Pro is coated with multi-layered BBAR anti-reflective coating, giving it following benefits:
- reduced back reflections; amount of light reflected by diffuser back to the lens is more than 10x less than uncoated version
- improved light transmission, 5% more light passes through to the camera compared to uncoated version
- reduced glare, greater clarity, sharper image.
(Diffusers' polished side is facing camera against bright daylight window)
Confused about which grain is best for you?
Go for 9 micron if you're building a vibrating adapter; it provides good diffusion and natural bokeh.
Some frame grabs I took with my adapter using these diffusers:
These are raw frames (except B&W). Un-cropped, no color correction, straight from my HV20, pulldown removed.
15 micron demo
All framegrabs and footage were shot with D1 (uncoated) diffusers.
D1 uncoated diffuser: $15
35mm enthusiast special promo: three D1 diffusers for $39.95
D1Pro diffuser with anti-reflective coating: $38.95
Worldwide airmail shipping: $7
To order, please email your selection to firstname.lastname@example.org
Need a custom sized or shaped gg?
Got a glass/lens that needs grinding?
Email me and we'll think something out!
I'm also taking orders for building a complete adapter for your HV20.
[this post is updated regularly, so check back once in a while]