Thread: Mini SDHC Card for HV30?

Question Mini SDHC Card for HV30?

I've checked this forum and could not find the answers but admit I'm a newbie. I also hope this is the correct place for my HV30 questions.

Will the HV30 accept a Mini SDHC (Class 6) card or just a standard Mini SD?

If SDHC, is it limited to the 2 gig maximum?

If standard, what is fastest speed or version it can handle? (ie: V1.1 = 133mhz)

Can a larger capacity Micro SD card be used with an Mini SD adaptor in HV30?

Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by previdman View Post
    I've checked this forum and could not find the answers but admit I'm a newbie. I also hope this is the correct place for my HV30 questions.

Will the HV30 accept a Mini SDHC (Class 6) card or just a standard Mini SD?

If SDHC, is it limited to the 2 gig maximum?

If standard, what is fastest speed or version it can handle? (ie: V1.1 = 133mhz)

Can a larger capacity Micro SD card be used with an Mini SD adaptor in HV30?

Thanks for all your help.
    Not sure what difference the HC makes, but I believe the HV20 is limited to a 4gb card.

Valued Member

The faster speed the better! I dont think speed matters with the camera, just dont get a really slow one. And remember to stay under 4 gb because i've had problems with other devices with the higher capicity memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by alexville View Post
    The faster speed the better! I dont think speed matters with the camera, just dont get a really slow one. And remember to stay under 4 gb because i've had problems with other devices with the higher capicity memory cards.
    Reason I ask is because the HV20 manual specifically says camera is tested and recommended for up to 2 gig SD but is not guaranteed to work on anything beyond that.

Also, SDHC requires compatible devices for using the V2.0 (Class 2 thru 6) specification allowing the fastest data transfer rates.

Quote from Wikipedia:
    SD and SDHC compatibility issues
    As of early 2007, the simultaneous availability of non-standard 4 GB SD and of standards-compliant 4 GB SDHC cards, and incompatibilities between SD and SDHC have caused confusion among consumers buying memory devices.

SD and SDHC cards and devices have these compatibility issues :

* Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards.
    * Some manufacturers have produced 4 GB SD cards that conform to neither the SD2.0/SDHC spec nor existing SD devices. [14]
    * File System: SD cards are typically formatted with the FAT16 file system, while SDHC cards are typically formatted as FAT32. [15] However, both types of cards can support other general-purpose filesystems, such as UFS2/ext2 for example.

I'm suspecting the newer HV30 might support SDHC but if so, what is the maximum speed it can handle? And I don't know about HV20 compatibility with SDHC. That's why I asked.

See how simple it all is??
    Last edited by previdman; 2008 April 13th at 15:08. Reason: correction

Forum Mogul

I have never checked to see if it will see the full 4gb SDHC card in my HV20/30 but it certainly recognizes one, it give me huge number of pictures available, if I get a chance I will try and check today. I have one in my Treo. I checked and posted this long ago...

Quote Originally Posted by CJDaniels View Post
    I have never checked to see if it will see the full 4gb SDHC card in my HV20/30 but it certainly recognizes one, it give me huge number of pictures available, if I get a chance I will try and check today. I have one in my Treo. I checked and posted this long ago...
    So you actually use an SDHC mini card in your HV30? Do you know what Class (speed)?

According to the charts, you should get abt 2,000 pics with a 2 Gigger. Here's a Tiger Direct image guide:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Mogul

in my camera i have a 2gb Kingston sdhc and it shows 950 pics or something close to that. My 4 GB SDHC card is filled with music Treo says it has 1.5 GB empty, when I put it in my HV30 it shows 743 pictures available, which leads me to believe it sees the whole thing.

I a really busy right now or I would move the junk off the card, unfortunately it has all my email, music and pictures on it. If I get a chance tomorrow I will do it.

i don't know the speed of the card. But it is pretty fast on my Treo, which is unusual.